Expand globally with international domains

coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
73 0 37

Hey @datomnz yes absolutely, it will work for any content.

You can see a very basic example on our demo store's contact page:

https://uk.defaultglobal.com/pages/contact-us versus
https://defaultglobal.com/pages/contact-us versus
https://defaultglobal.ca/pages/contact-us

Cole Atkinson | Product @ Shopify
0 Likes
coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
73 0 37

Hey everyone, for everyone following this thread we're happy to let you know that automatic redirection between international domains is now available: https://community.shopify.com/c/Selling-Internationally/Automatically-redirect-customers-to-the-righ...

emporiumart
1 0 0

H i did a check of my hreflang tags and got the result shown in the first attachment. I thought Shopify will automatically add hreflang tags instead I found an emporiumart.com domain set with x-default (while emporiumart.it is my main reference page) and another emporiumart.com page with hreflang tag conflict . How to solve the problem?

Screenshot 2021-06-27 at 06-58-35 Hreflang Checker.pngScreenshot 2021-06-27 at 07-01-56 Emporium ~ Domini ~ Shopify.png

0 Likes
coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
73 0 37

Hi @emporiumart, the hreflang tags Shopify has added reflect exactly what your domain settings are:

href.png

Your default domain, which targets Rest of World is x-default.

emporiumart.fr does not target a country, but has French as the default language. If you intend this domain to target France as well, then adjust that in your domain settings.

emporiumart.it then also reflect correctly, showing it is targeting Italy, with 3 available languages - Italian, English, French. Let me know if this helps!

0 Likes
supsan
1 0 0

Thanks for your interest in the feature! International domains doesn't change anything about the back end fulfillment functionality in Shopify - you can look at using Shipping Profilesto ensure that orders from certain countries only ship from locations/warehouses that you want them to.

Offering different products/content on different domains doesn't yet happen natively with this feature; you can reach out to a Shopify expert to customize such functionality for you in your theme, or you would continue to use multiple Shopify stores to do this.

Hey @coleatkinson , how would this work for products using Amazon FBA? Since it is not possible to select multiple warehouses and allow for international warehouses for those products, would sellers still need to use two separate stores?

0 Likes
coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
73 0 37

Hi @supsan - the solution we are developing is designed to work with multiple locations within Shopify. Using Amazon FBA does not leverage the native locations feature, so to do something like this with FBA would likely still require separate stores.

0 Likes
fabmol1
Tourist
19 0 3

Hi

I am thinking about setting up international domains and I have a couple of questions:

1. If my base currency is EUR and I set up an international domain for the USA in USD. What currency does the customer checkout in?
  2. My store is .com and based in Dublin, Ireland. What way would you set up a US store domain?
  3. SEO - By having multiple domains for my store (.com, .ca, .co.uk), will this harm the SEO of my site in any way considering all our links are .com ?

Thanks

Fabio

0 Likes

Hi @coleatkinson,

@coleatkinson wrote:

Hey @Brecht, yes you can disable the native hreflang implementation - please get in touch with our support team and they can do this for you!

I work with custom hreflang tags and sometimes need to disable native hreflang implementation.
Is there any possibility to disable native hreflang implementation using Rest or GraphQL API?

Thank you for your work!

Founder at GenovaWebArt | info@genovawebart.com
0 Likes
coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
73 0 37

Hey @Arthur_Korniyen - not right now, but exposing the ability to do this in the admin or via API is something that we may consider.

0 Likes
DavidTsaiSEO
1 0 0

Is there any way to set up a subdirectory with a local targetted currency, through Hreflang, without a subdomain and without using advanced Shopify?

I currently have a main webpage xyz.com which targets NZ and AU, and a subdomain which is us.xyz.com targetting the US. However, I want to remove the subdomain and set up a subdirectory system, where the currency of each country will show as default with Hreflang tags.

It does seem like the Geolocation app can help with that? I haven't been able to read into how these items function, but top-line it looks like this is what the Geolocation app is created for without needing Advance Shopify.

For example

website.com/us - US currency default

website.com/nz - NZ currency default

website.com/tw - TW currency default

website.com/au - AU currency default

Thanks in advance

0 Likes