Experiencing higher then usual fraudulent sales going to Mexico

ChrisCripp
2 0 0

We've experienced an influx of sales going to Mexico that were flagged. We've noticed they are shipping to similar locations, I've contacted the clients and they have clear e-mail communication. Even provided matching photo ID! the ID matches the billing and shipping location. A few weeks later we'd get a chargeback notification for the sale. I don't know how to fight this problem other then just not shipping anything that's marked with a risk. I figured a matching ID would be irrefutable proof of a legit transaction... guess i was wrong. 

Orders have a very similar e-mail address construction : Client using the persons first and lastname and then a numbers after. example: johnsmith2212@gmail.com 

anyone else getting this? 

Replies 4 (4)
Jason_Beacon
Shopify Partner
224 9 38

Hi @ChrisCripp 

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. Fraud orders are such a big issue around these times.

A photo ID can easily be manipulated or be stolen (for verification purposes) if you do not know what to look out for by more experienced bad-actors looking to get away from theft.

You need to be vigilant for orders that are out of the ordinary and are being shipped to the same place from multiple new accounts, as you have mentioned. You did the right thing, by contacting the customer, but without the proper knowledge or tools, it can be difficult to spot bad orders even with a photo ID. I've seen many cases of manipulated Photo IDs where it was clear the address was clearly modified to look legitimate with the order information.

The next best thing you can do is to disable the account and make sure the shipping address, name, email, etc.. is blacklisted so that any orders coming in will not be able to go through. Set your payment capture to manual from Shopify settings so that it can give you time to review the order before continuing fulfillment. Don't let the bad-actors take advantage of your shop again.

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks with Beacon. The most customizable fraud and risk management system built for Shopify businesses

https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
ChrisCripp
2 0 0

HI Jason, 

How to do I disable the account or blacklist the account without deleting it? 

Thank you. 

Jason_Beacon
Shopify Partner
224 9 38

@ChrisCripp 

You can find this option on the customer profile page on the top-right if you have "account required" or if the customer has created an account.

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 1.20.51 AM.png

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks with Beacon. The most customizable fraud and risk management system built for Shopify businesses

https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
Amelia_W
Tourist
6 0 1

I'm sorry that you have experienced this problem, friendly fraud seems to becoming more and more of a problem as Ecommerce continues to grow. 

If you haven't already found a solution to help you with your issue, Disputify would be a good app to look at, and it can be downloaded directly from the app store. 
Disputify's Rules Engine allows you  to create custom rules and filters based on order attributes you deem to be suspicious and want to review or block. For example, if tall of these orders are coming out of Mexico, then you can automatically flag orders being placed in Mexico, or if there is a particular item that they seem to be continuously ordering, you can set rules and filters around this. 

This is just one functionality that the app has that allows you to track and prevent known refund and chargeback fraudsters, and stop them from attacking your store. 

If you have any questions around how Disputify could work for you, book a demo here!