How do I change my shop currency after having made my first sale?

Solved
justashopowner
1 0 0

I have already made some sales in GBP when I was living in the UK. I have recently moved outside the UK and would like to continue selling but in EUR. I can confirm that my linked bank account does accept payouts in euros, but there is no way for me to change my shop currency through settings. If you have already made your first sale, then the instructions in settings just say to 'contact Shopify Support'. But when I click there, it takes me back to to the 'contact support' help search-bar which then takes me back to the page that tells me to contact Shopify support...

I have seen other people raise this question in discussions and the response of Shopify has been to email them a link where they can change this. This link really ought to be made available through the shop settings page too! Please would Shopify Support help me change my currency to euro?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Trevor
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3215 435 743

This is an accepted solution.

@justashopowner 

Before this can be changed, I'll need to let you know of a few things that might occur and the steps you need to take after the change. Since you have already made a sale with a different currency, these main impacts might occur for you:

Reporting

• When changing currencies, our reporting doesn't factor in the difference between currencies. So if you had $500 USD processing, that would show as $500 in reports. Say the next day you switch to CAD, the report would still read as $500 for previous processing. So there's no clarification between currencies if the currency symbol is the same as before and since $1 CAD is not equal to $1 USD, the reports, in theory, will be wrong going forward.
  • You can, however, set a “date range” for the data they are reviewing, to exclude any transactions that might have been processed in a different currency before the specific date of the currency switch.

Product Pricing

• Since the dollar amount between currencies is not the same, a product price’s value could mean something different if the currency is adjusted and impact your margins. Ex - $20 CAD, is not equal to $20 USD. Refunds processed after a currency change will also be affected by the currency change.

Apps

• Some apps may have limitations when it comes to changing currency. If you need to know if this will affect any of the apps you have listed on your store, you will need to reach out to the app developer directly for more info.

Making any adjustments to your product pricing needs to consider the currency difference. You will also want to review your product pages, themes, etc for currency information, that might need to be adjusted. Note that refunds will be processed in the new currency.

While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

If you find that you're caught in a loop (as you've indicated in your response), you'll want to try the following: 

• Clear your browser cache/cookies, restart the browser and try again 
  • Try Google Incognito mode 
  • Try a different browser and/or device 

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)
Trevor
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3215 435 743

This is an accepted solution.

@justashopowner 

Before this can be changed, I'll need to let you know of a few things that might occur and the steps you need to take after the change. Since you have already made a sale with a different currency, these main impacts might occur for you:

Reporting

• When changing currencies, our reporting doesn't factor in the difference between currencies. So if you had $500 USD processing, that would show as $500 in reports. Say the next day you switch to CAD, the report would still read as $500 for previous processing. So there's no clarification between currencies if the currency symbol is the same as before and since $1 CAD is not equal to $1 USD, the reports, in theory, will be wrong going forward.
  • You can, however, set a “date range” for the data they are reviewing, to exclude any transactions that might have been processed in a different currency before the specific date of the currency switch.

Product Pricing

• Since the dollar amount between currencies is not the same, a product price’s value could mean something different if the currency is adjusted and impact your margins. Ex - $20 CAD, is not equal to $20 USD. Refunds processed after a currency change will also be affected by the currency change.

Apps

• Some apps may have limitations when it comes to changing currency. If you need to know if this will affect any of the apps you have listed on your store, you will need to reach out to the app developer directly for more info.

Making any adjustments to your product pricing needs to consider the currency difference. You will also want to review your product pages, themes, etc for currency information, that might need to be adjusted. Note that refunds will be processed in the new currency.

While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

If you find that you're caught in a loop (as you've indicated in your response), you'll want to try the following: 

• Clear your browser cache/cookies, restart the browser and try again 
  • Try Google Incognito mode 
  • Try a different browser and/or device 

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog