Solved

How do I display a frontpage in a different language after user selects it?

KlausJ
Tourist
6 0 0

As the title says.

If I use multilanguage and the user can switch between languages, how do I change the content on the front page to reflect it? The "customize theme" for (for example) Debut doesnt seem to have a concept about multiple languages.

Accepted Solution (1)

richbrown_staff
Shopify Staff
629 91 153

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there, Rich from Shopify here. I'll give you a comprehensive answer but appreciate you will have already done lots of these steps.

Shopify has a Translations API. This enables you to take content in the stores's default language (theme language) and translate it for users in different languages. To do this here are the steps:

- Go to Settings > Store language and add check the default language is what you want it to be. Then go to 'Translated languages' and add the language you want to translate in.

- Add translations. You can use an app that's compliant with the Translations API, a collection of which you can find here, or you can use the CSV export / import functionality.

- You can preview this on your storefront, and when ready publish the language.

Using either of these methods, you'll see that different content from different places of the store has a different Type and Field. For the front page content you mentioned specifically, text generated in the Online Store Editor is saved as Type: ONLINE_STORE_THEME and then Field starts with 'section.' e.g. section.header.text

In the Online Store Editor, you can switch Language Switchers on in the Footer. This enables users to switch language.

Hope that helps,

Rich

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

richbrown_staff
Shopify Staff
629 91 153

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there, Rich from Shopify here. I'll give you a comprehensive answer but appreciate you will have already done lots of these steps.

Shopify has a Translations API. This enables you to take content in the stores's default language (theme language) and translate it for users in different languages. To do this here are the steps:

- Go to Settings > Store language and add check the default language is what you want it to be. Then go to 'Translated languages' and add the language you want to translate in.

- Add translations. You can use an app that's compliant with the Translations API, a collection of which you can find here, or you can use the CSV export / import functionality.

- You can preview this on your storefront, and when ready publish the language.

Using either of these methods, you'll see that different content from different places of the store has a different Type and Field. For the front page content you mentioned specifically, text generated in the Online Store Editor is saved as Type: ONLINE_STORE_THEME and then Field starts with 'section.' e.g. section.header.text

In the Online Store Editor, you can switch Language Switchers on in the Footer. This enables users to switch language.

Hope that helps,

Rich

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Hogan02
Visitor
1 0 0

Click Select. If you understand multiple languages, click + Add another language. After you change your language preferences, close and reopen your browser.

alaskasworld