How to change language of Shopify Store?

bolindertasche
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello community members, I just created a new Shopify store (https://bolindertasche.com) I'm using German language as a primary language but still my store is in English. Is there anyway to convert that English store into german? Any app or any function in Shopify?

Replies 7 (7)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @bolindertasche,

Nick here from Shopify. Really good question! 

It's definitely possible to convert/translate your store from English to German and it is via an app from the Shopify App Store. There are a few different apps I like for this, but I would lean to Langify being my favourite one. You can see a link to it and some of the other translation apps below: 

Do you feel like one of these could do what you're looking for? Let me know!

Thanks, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

bolindertasche
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Nick, the default option of Shopify is not working. Can you please help me with. I don't think apps would help

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @bolindertasche,

Can you elaborate a little on why it's not working? Any screenshots or in detail descriptions would be helpful to find out what might now be working here. It could also be worth checking out the Shopify help guide on native store translation here

If you feel this requires a deeper investigation into your store that would require access to your account to understand better and resolve. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit our support team here and log in to your account to create a support request.

DanSrokosz
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Nick,

I wonder if you can help me too? I'm a designer in England who has built a Shopify site (using Fresh) for a client in Turkey. I set the site up in English and had the client translate everything manually in Turkish, which I then installed using a CSV file. The trouble is, the store is English first, with Turkish being an option in the dropdown menu. The client has asked if this can be switched, so the website is always Turkish first.

Is there an easy way to do this? I know I can update my store's language via Settings > Languages > Change theme language but I'm unsure of what exactly will happen when I do this; will all of the current English words be translated to Turkish? And how will I then add English options? I need this doing as quickly and painlessly as possible!

The site is www.beynlab.com

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @DanSrokosz,

Really great question and I can fully understand any potential hesitancy. It will depend on the theme, the language, how much things are customized such as apps etc.

I did a test change on my test store to give you an idea:

21-23-23191-47537

It looks like the buttons and some other aspects have changed, but the product descriptions/titles/homepage text seem to still be in English so you'd need to change those manually in the Language editor. 

There are some apps you can look into helping with this too but you may not need them. The one I like the most is Langify. There's also the Shopify help guide for this here

DanSrokosz
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Nick,

Thanks for your reply but I'm still struggling with this. I changed the store's language to Turkish and added English as a published language but the only thing that happened was that everything on the site got translated into English (even when Turkish was selected).

I have now added a language app (ETranslate) and the Geolocation app. This has now sorted the multilingual problem (both English and Turkish are available from the dropdown) but the problem is that English is still displaying first—even when viewing the site from a computer in Turkey!

One trick that I know of is that if I add /tr to the end of the URL, it then automatically translates everything to Turkish. Is it worth me setting the website address as www.beynlab.com/tr and have www.beynlab.com point to it?

Or do you have any other suggestions? Anything is appreciated!

Many thanks,

Dan

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @DanSrokosz,

That's definitley one option to go down. If you're happy and ok with that, I'd say that should be good. I see your store is still password protected and I can't see it. 

It might be worth reaching out to an advisor on the Shopify support team to look into this with someone in real time so they can access your store with you and give the best advice. You can contact the support team by logging in here