Can Shopify accommodate 8-digit HS codes for shipping to Europe?

Debbie_Jones2
Tourist
4 0 5

Has anyone come across this problem, I'm in the UK and need to send items to Europe, but an 8 digit HS code is required for European countries, and Shopify only allows 6 digits to be entered on the Products Page .... is there a workaround for this?  otherwise, we have to manually add codes each time we ship to Europe...such a time waster!  Any suggestions much appreciated.

Replies 13 (13)

JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 916

Hi @Debbie_Jones2 ,

International HS Code are the first 6 Digits only, you can add these only.

Here's an example: https://gcelogistic.com/what-is-hs-code/

Cheers!

Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
Should you need any direct help: contact@jhkcreate.com

Learn more about us: jhkcreate.com
andyhobday
Tourist
6 0 0

I'm currently looking at this too, and UK carriers are asking for the full 8 digit HS code.

If you edit the HS codes in the Shopify Bulk Editor it enables you to add 8 digits, I don't fancy manually updating 8000+ products.  Has anyone been able to add 8 digits via an upload - must add that Ablestar's Bulk Editor doesn't allow it.

Debbie_Jones2
Tourist
4 0 5

Hi thanks for the reply, let me know if you have any luck.... I have contacted shopify...they said they would send it for review.....but have no idea how long this will take

AndrewHill
Visitor
1 0 0

I have tried to add the 8-digit code to all my entries but would also have welcomed a way to enter the same number for every product. I have also tried to add it to pages of 50 lines using keyboard arrow keys and Ctr+V which is pretty quick. Having entered all 50 and saving I move on to the next block of 50. Checking later, however, only 10 or so appear to have been saved! Trying then to move away from the page, the message about changes not being saved appears but there is no 'Save' button or other method to 'save' whatever it is. It seems that by slowly adding about 10 at a time I might finally have them all entered but this is a complete pain.

I would also like to add some sort of message to people buying from the EU that they may have to put duty on items arriving but cannot see a quick way to do this either. Both these tasks should be simple database editing but it seems we are not allowed such access. Pity.

Hoping we get some help soon from somewhere.

Debbie_Jones2
Tourist
4 0 5

Hi, shopify has just contacted me and you can now upload the csv file with the HS code and Country of Origin. 😄

Shopngo
Tourist
9 0 3

Hi Debbie,

Have a look at these guys

www.tarifftel.com 

It's a hs lookup tool for easily getting the hs code. They also told me that soon you'll be able to upload your product catalogue and they'll keep the HS Codes up to date for the countries you need.

JakeMesser
Visitor
1 0 1

Shopify need to find a solution to stop reducing the codes automatically to 6 digits as to what they think is 'global standard', as the EU requires 8 digits post Brexit and its just causing constant issues. If you change the code back to 8, in 2 or 3 days time it just goes back to 6 again. They need to change this to support UK / EU customers. 

andyhobday
Tourist
6 0 0

Do we have anything more on this?  Being in the UK we need 8 digits for HS Custom Codes, not six plus recently Shopify has added a decimal place into the mix - what is that all about?

Is there anyone from Shopify who can clarify their decision on this and explain why the additional decimal place because it has impacted our shipping interface as it can no longer read the codes?

Ladyelf
Visitor
3 0 0

^same problem here and hoping for a fix!

Debbie_Jones2
Tourist
4 0 5

Europe needs an 8 Digit number all UK carriers require this. 

JoesToes
Excursionist
12 1 6

Sorry not a solution just to say the 8 digit codes are very much needed. 

hotel-blanked
12 0 0

IF you have difficulty to classification HS code, I will help you to support your business. ALL of apparel Product HS code, Textile, Toys, Garment etc

Please open this link : https://www.linkedin.com/in/specialty-coffee-arabica-1a5929200

I also can be your dropship partner.

hotel-blanked
12 0 0

IF you have difficulty to classification HS code, I will help you to support your business. ALL of apparel Product HS code, Textile, Toys, Garment etc

Please open this link : https://www.linkedin.com/in/specialty-coffee-arabica-1a5929200

I also can be your dropship partner. Open to discuss.