Solved

What's the best international payment option for a UK business with UAE customers?

mitra
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi there. My business and bank account is in Uk, but I have customers in UAE. Which payment option is better for that? also I need to know if I need to have any bank account in UAE or payments will go to my UK account straightly?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (2)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @mitra,

Nick here from Shopify. Great questions.

If your business and bank account are in the UK, I would suggest keeping them there rather than the UAE, even if you have a lot of customers in the UAE. Because your business is based in the UK, this is where you would pay your business and sales taxes regardless of where you sell. Something else to think about is that being based in the UK enables you to use Shopify Payments while if you moved your bank to the UAE, you would have to use a third party payment gateway. Your payments would go directly to your UK account in this case. 

20-05-f28f5-x1txq

You can see the help guide Shopify has for Shopify Payments and it's benefits here. In my opinion, I feel if you mixed and matched your store bank details location with where your business is located it could make things more complicated than they need to be, but it is your call at the end of the day. 

I hope this helps, but are there any other questions you have about setting up your business details? If so, be sure to let me know!

All the best, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

No worries at all, hope it helped! 

If you add a payment gateway to your store and your bank is based in the UK and you use Shopify Payments, customers from the UAE will be able to pay via credit cards, that shouldn't be a problem. You can see the payment gateways which Shopify is partnered within the UAE here. I am not too familiar with each one individually. I would advise researching and looking into them to find one you resonate with yourself. Shopify Payments is available in the UK and only with the countries shown in the screenshot in my original reply above. 

View solution in original post

Replies 8 (8)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @mitra,

Nick here from Shopify. Great questions.

If your business and bank account are in the UK, I would suggest keeping them there rather than the UAE, even if you have a lot of customers in the UAE. Because your business is based in the UK, this is where you would pay your business and sales taxes regardless of where you sell. Something else to think about is that being based in the UK enables you to use Shopify Payments while if you moved your bank to the UAE, you would have to use a third party payment gateway. Your payments would go directly to your UK account in this case. 

20-05-f28f5-x1txq

You can see the help guide Shopify has for Shopify Payments and it's benefits here. In my opinion, I feel if you mixed and matched your store bank details location with where your business is located it could make things more complicated than they need to be, but it is your call at the end of the day. 

I hope this helps, but are there any other questions you have about setting up your business details? If so, be sure to let me know!

All the best, Nick

mitra
Tourist
6 0 2
Hi Nick, thank you very much for your reply. I dont have any bank account in UAE and thats why I wanted to make sure its possible for my customers to pay by credit cards in UAE while the money sits in my UK account. I will use one bank account only. Ao it’s totally possible? Can u suggest which gateway is better? I preferred to use Shopify payment but I can see Shopify payment is not available for UAE, right? 
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

No worries at all, hope it helped! 

If you add a payment gateway to your store and your bank is based in the UK and you use Shopify Payments, customers from the UAE will be able to pay via credit cards, that shouldn't be a problem. You can see the payment gateways which Shopify is partnered within the UAE here. I am not too familiar with each one individually. I would advise researching and looking into them to find one you resonate with yourself. Shopify Payments is available in the UK and only with the countries shown in the screenshot in my original reply above. 

mitra
Tourist
6 0 2

thank you Nick. very helpful.

MAQUAE
Shopify Partner
66 6 13

I think you need to use UK payment gateway in your store as your website or business is based in UK.

If you are expanding business to UAE, then you need business trade license, bank account and then only you will get local payment gateway.

Shopify Store Setup
Customize Shopify Theme
Develop Custom Shopify App
For any Shopify Developments : http://expertsinshopify.com

Use AIO Chat App and get more closer to your customers: https://apps.shopify.com/aio-chat
MOTELIAVAA
Visitor
2 0 0

HELLO

I'M HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MY INTERNATIONAL PAYMENT FROM MY OVERSEAS CUSTOMERS, ALL INTERNATIONAL PURCHASE A FLAGGED BUT LOCAL PURCHASE ARE SUPER FINE, PLEASE HELP ME WITH A SOLUTION OR IF PROVIDE ANY PHONE FOR CONTACT PLEASE

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @MOTELIAVAA,

Can you tell me what country you are based in and which payment gateway you are using, please? It's difficult to troubleshoot this without more information. 

MOTELIAVAA
Visitor
2 0 0
hello Nick... actually it is the most dissatisfied result i received today
from Shopify, I am base in New Zealand and i use Shopify gateway for payment
Now they have closed my website and telling me apply for third party and
they denied me access to my own website

I have requested twice for them to review the red flagged as it was strange
that local was super fine purchasing on my website but overseas customers
are red flagged
Now they have closed access to it what can i do?