Solved

Is an HS code required for selling apparel on Shopify?

slimak
Visitor
2 0 1

Hey guys,

I've added a product to my new store and it's asking for an HS Code for customs. I'm selling items like t-shirts and hoodies, but I cannot seem to find the correct HS Code for this.. can anyone help?

TIA!

Ben

Accepted Solution (1)

Mr-Flo
Explorer
73 8 34

This is an accepted solution.

Simple Answer:

No/Yes, depends

Advanced:

You need it if a certain $ Threshold is reached. If you import to the EU you need EORI. 

Usually, your freight company puts the "HS" on, but not really necessary for small amount delivery. 

Maybe you are shipping Pallets to Turkey, then Yes.

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 916

Hi @slimak ,

An HS Code is necessary when shipping cross-borders. I suggest you reach out to your Customs agency to process your request here and get them set. It will avoid headaches down the line.

Cheers!

Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
Should you need any direct help: contact@jhkcreate.com

Learn more about us: jhkcreate.com

Mr-Flo
Explorer
73 8 34

This is an accepted solution.

Simple Answer:

No/Yes, depends

Advanced:

You need it if a certain $ Threshold is reached. If you import to the EU you need EORI. 

Usually, your freight company puts the "HS" on, but not really necessary for small amount delivery. 

Maybe you are shipping Pallets to Turkey, then Yes.

Mr-Flo
Explorer
73 8 34

@slimak 

Where are you located?

Just make sure you fully state on the Invoice:

1x Pullover, 80% Cotton 20% Wool, that's all you need. 

I am guessing you don't export 1000s of Items once, because you would not ask here.

slimak
Visitor
2 0 1

Located in the UK. No this is a merchandise store.. probably won't be more than 5-10 orders a day for now

Shopngo
Tourist
9 0 3

Hi,

To find a garment's HS Code, try www.tarifftel.com

It provides hs codes for import and export and is easy to use by a non customs person. It's free for the first 10 or so codes but you do need to create an account.

If you are importing the goods it's your responsibility to get the hs/commodity code correct.  Import duty is dependant on the hs code and the items Origin (according to the "rules of origin"). Basically where the item was made not where it was shipped from.

Hope this helps.

hotel-blanked
12 0 0

IF you have difficulty to classification HS code, I will help you to support your business. ALL of apparel Product HS code, Textile, Toys, Garment etc

Please open this link : https://www.linkedin.com/in/specialty-coffee-arabica-1a5929200

I also can be your dropship partner.

Greg-Bernhardt
Community Manager
94 1 33

FYI, Shopify has recently written an ultimate guide to HS and HTS Codes.

Due to the age of this topic, we have locked it. To discuss HS and HTS codes more, please make a new thread so we can assist.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.