Multiple Shopify stores using subfolders

fmbns
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I'm currently building a store for a client that will be using a domain managed by a separate corporate entity. There are multiple restrictions on the domain like no subdomains and no alternate extensions. The only option open to us is the use of subfolders.

There are multiple markets, so US, Europe, Canada, Mexico, etc.. with different inventories. A previous answer to a question mentioned that Shopify is working on use of subfolders, but I can't find any update on this.

https://community.shopify.com/c/international-commerce/sub-directories-versus-sub-domains-for-intern...

Shopify Markets looks like a possible option, but billing, setup and use for >3 Markets is a little unclear. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Replies 7 (7)
sampymishra
Shopify Partner
293 10 35

Hi @fmbns 

It is always to use subfolders over creating subdomains for multiple markets. 

When you set up your markets using your primary domain only, you don't need to configure any further options in your Shopify admin because all markets use the same store URL.

You can follow the steps below to create market using subfolders:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Markets
  2. In the Other Markets section, find the market you want to set up and click Manage.
  3. In the Domains and languages section, click Manage.
  4. In the Market domains and subfolders section, select Subfolders.
  5. In the Subfolders box, enter a region-specific suffix for your target market. For example, 'EU' for Europe
  6. Click Save.

The structure of the subfolder would look something like this:

.com (will be USA) and the main website

.com/eu   (Europe)

.com/ca    (Canada)

You can also enable the languages that you want for each market. There is no separate billing needed to set up Shopify Markets.

Hope this helps. You can contact us if you need any help with the setup process.

Sampy Mishra | Customer Success Manager @ AdNabu

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 

- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

- Try our Google Shopping Feed App from Shopify App Store. 

DFU98
Tourist
10 0 2

Thanks but can I do it if it isn't for different markets (same store just in another language) in this case.  Just use the subdirectories for multiple stores (one subdirectory for one shop, other for a different store, not for the same store but a different language).

wumico
Tourist
7 0 2

this is only possible with shopify plus?

because i cannot find it (manage markets)

dankron
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

This is my biggest problem too, I have a client that is currently set up with woo-commerce using subfolders for the different stores, I'm almost done with the Shopify Plus migration, and speaking to Shopify support you can't have subfolders on multi-store websites, subfolders only work for markets, however if you have markets you can't have separate bank accounts. For example Australian store, gets paid in AUD and goes to an Australian bank without any currency conversions, US store gets paid in USD and sends money to a US bank without any currency conversions. That is only possible with multi-store.

Support said with multi-store you can have subdomains like au.domain.com us.domain.com, which is not ideal for SEO. 

If you want to use subfolders according to support you can only do it using markets, wich means one account for everything, so all money received in different currencies will be converted to your main currency and it will incur exchange fees.

fmbns
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

What we ended up doing was using markets for the main site with subfolders. Then we created an additional site for EU products. For people visiting from the EU, we use the buy button from the second site and hide the US add to cart option so they're taken to the second site for payment processing. Unfortunately, if you want to have multiple languages, the cart isn't an option. Most people only purchase one product from us at at time so it's worked out but seems to be an overly complicated solution to this problem.

dankron
Shopify Partner
5 0 0
Yeah that seems to be a very hacky way to do it, I wish Shopify actually made something better for this, allow us to either: setup different bank accounts per market, or add sub folders on multi store
wumico
Tourist
7 0 2

what do you mean by this: 

"we use the buy button from the second site and hide the US add to cart option"?

if you have another website in a subfolder how can you have two add to cart buttons on one product page? - buy button is something different from add to cart button?

are you using multi location inventory app or locksmith to hide add to cart. buttons?

how do you solve the problem, that they checkout by googlepay or paypal?