Solved

PayPal not working with International Payments

QuirkyDesigner
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi there,

I have a store based in India wherein my product listings are in INR and payout is also in INR.
A customer from the US tried to make a payment with PayPal but received the error message
of "Sorry, the merchant does not accept payments in your currency. Please return to the merchant
and choose another way to pay."

I contacted PayPal and they suggested to change the product listings to USD. Now, will this effect
my payout? If a product listing shows $10 will I received a payment of Rs.10? This is really dangerous.

@Shopify, could you please advise on how to move forward?

Thank you!

Accepted Solution (1)

HymnZ
Shopify Partner
399 6 48

This is an accepted solution.

@QuirkyDesigner Paypal integration has some restrictions when you're from a country with partially supported currencies (India & INR). The problem with changing your products to US Dollars from IN Rupee is it'll impact your Indian customers and they'll be charged in Dollars. Unless you have a multi-currency checkout setup there is no possible way to make this work out of the box. You'll need a customized solution to collect/take payments in US Dollars.

My speciality lies in making Shopify work for your requirements, not the other way round. HMU on email: hymnz@outlook.com or on skype: hymnzzy

If you like my work, consider supporting me 🙂 https://www.buymeacoffee.com/hymnz

View solution in original post

Replies 4 (4)

Michal17
Shopify Partner
835 73 175

Hi @QuirkyDesigner 

Hope you're having a great day! Sorry for your inconvenience.

Now, will this effect my payout? If a product listing shows $10 will I received a payment of Rs.10?

No, If a product listing shows $10, You will receive a payment of $10 when people buy at your store.

Suppose that your store is located in India, but the majority of your customers are in the United States. If you sell to a lot of Americans, then set your store currency to United States dollars (USD).

If you have any further questions, please do reach out either here on the forum, or via a private message/email. If you found this comment useful then please hit Like and Accept the Solution!

HymnZ
Shopify Partner
399 6 48

This is an accepted solution.

@QuirkyDesigner Paypal integration has some restrictions when you're from a country with partially supported currencies (India & INR). The problem with changing your products to US Dollars from IN Rupee is it'll impact your Indian customers and they'll be charged in Dollars. Unless you have a multi-currency checkout setup there is no possible way to make this work out of the box. You'll need a customized solution to collect/take payments in US Dollars.

My speciality lies in making Shopify work for your requirements, not the other way round. HMU on email: hymnz@outlook.com or on skype: hymnzzy

If you like my work, consider supporting me 🙂 https://www.buymeacoffee.com/hymnz
QuirkyDesigner
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi @HymnZ,

You make very good points and I did consider how it would affect Indian customers. I was trying to
find a quick workaround and just wanted to see what the repercussions were.

PayPal was working in India before April and I was able to receive international payments.
But with the new situation, I have to rethink things. I currently use CashFree and to enable international
payments, I have to make a deposit of Rs. 40K and also provide proofs. I just opened shop so just weighing
options on how to move forward.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

QuirkyDesigner
Tourist
4 0 0

I wouldn't classify it as "solved", more like I have to weigh my options and decide how to move forward based on costs, time, etc.

1. Start a new store and set currency in dollars (makes more sense when scaling up) 

2. Activate international payments methods with the local payment gateways (requires showing documents/proofs of business) 

3. Set default PayPal currency to USD (currently testing this out to see if this works).