Solved

Question about Shopify payments for international consumers

brookie08
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi All, if a merchant is registered in a region that accepts Shopify payments , can an International consumer who is in a region where Shopify Payments has not been rolled out, still purchase on the website ? For eg. If my merchant is based out of Singapore and has consumers in Thailand, can a Thai consumer still pay the merchant using Shopify Pay (It is ok for the transaction currency to be SGD, not Baht) ?

Would the merchant have to enable another gateway that accepts payments from Thai consumers ?

Accepted Solution (1)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @brookie08. Thanks for starting this topic; It’s a great question!

The payment gateway available to use on a merchant’s store is determined by the merchant’s location only. Therefore, if a merchant is based in a region that supports Shopify Payments and they have it activated on their checkout, then all customer payments, regardless of where the customer is located, will be able to be processed through Shopify Payments. 

In terms of currency, the merchant will be paid out in their local currency, but can set their store currency to be any of the accepted currencies listed here. Please see the Help Doc Selling and getting paid in different currencies for more information about this. 

However, that being said, if the merchant sells to many different countries, then it’s also possible to sell in multiple currencies. This allows the customer to view prices in the store, pay for their orders at checkout, and receive refunds in their own local currency. More details about all of this, like the requirements to use multi currency, how to set it up, conversion fees etc. are found in the Help Docs for Selling in multiple currencies with Shopify Payments

Does that answer your question? If you would like to discuss further or need any clarification on the information in the links above, please just let me know. I’m happy to help!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @brookie08. Thanks for starting this topic; It’s a great question!

The payment gateway available to use on a merchant’s store is determined by the merchant’s location only. Therefore, if a merchant is based in a region that supports Shopify Payments and they have it activated on their checkout, then all customer payments, regardless of where the customer is located, will be able to be processed through Shopify Payments. 

In terms of currency, the merchant will be paid out in their local currency, but can set their store currency to be any of the accepted currencies listed here. Please see the Help Doc Selling and getting paid in different currencies for more information about this. 

However, that being said, if the merchant sells to many different countries, then it’s also possible to sell in multiple currencies. This allows the customer to view prices in the store, pay for their orders at checkout, and receive refunds in their own local currency. More details about all of this, like the requirements to use multi currency, how to set it up, conversion fees etc. are found in the Help Docs for Selling in multiple currencies with Shopify Payments

Does that answer your question? If you would like to discuss further or need any clarification on the information in the links above, please just let me know. I’m happy to help!

Sheikh123
Visitor
3 0 0

Hey! I live in Canada and have setup shopify payment method with my CA bank details as payouts. How can I receive money in USD and PKR by International customer?

Will it cost extra for exchange? Do I need another bank account for this or what?

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @Sheikh123! Thanks for reaching out. 

Each store can have one Shopify Payments account connected to it, and each Shopify Payments account can only issue payouts to one bank account. Payouts will be issued in a supported currency for your regional Shopify Payments account, and so for a Canadian Shopify Payments accounts, your payout currency can be in either CAD or USD. For a list of the supported payout currencies per country, take a look at the Help Doc for Selling and getting paid in different currencies.

That being said, and as I discussed in my previous post within this thread, it’s possible to allow for your customers to pay through Shopify Payments in their local currency, which would incur currency conversion fees. However, your payouts must be issued to your Canadian bank account in either CAD or USD. (Note: if you would like to receive payouts in USD then your Canadian bank account must be able to accept USD)

Therefore, to sum up, you can receive payouts in one currency only, and for you that can be in USD or CAD. Does that make sense?  

Boomerang1
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Helen,

i am located in Thailand and just opened a account by 2checkout for credit card payments. My account is open and active in my Shopify Shop. But the problem is it doesn't support Visa or Mastercard. Is there a solution to this problem. Or another provider that you can recommend. Thank you in advance for your help.

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @Boomerang1. Thanks for your question; I can certainly understand your concern.

As far as I know, 2Checkout should be able to process payments using Visa and Mastercard, as per what’s advertised on their website for your region hereTherefore, could you please let me know if  these credit card options are missing when you go to ‘Settings > Payments > Manage’ in your admin? It should look similar to the screenshot below, and all credit cards you’d like to accept will need to be checked off.

27-41-86003-14273

Let me know what you find, and we’ll go from there.

Boomerang1
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Helen,

thanks for your reply. Exactly here is the problem. if I tick all credit card options, the option for Visa or Mastercard payment appears at checkout. But if the customer has entered his Visa card number, the following message appears: 'This card type is not supported' In the case of a sensitive process such as payment, this of course usually leads to the purchase being abandoned.

Just today I got the following answer from 2checkout to this question: 

-  On the 30th of July, we have made some changes to the checkout flow, and the credit card options such as Visa and Mastercard will be processed via Paypal.

-  The process is intended to allow the customer to complete their orders as guests and simply insert their details or via their Paypal account.

-  This solution is being put in place exactly to help the Mastercard transactions and all other credit cards also.

-  The error is due to the fact that the customers are trying to checkout via Visa/Mastercard directly, and that is not possible.

-  Please advise them to checkout via PayPal.

this is of course not satisfactory for me and my customers. I already had the credit card processing via PayPal. However, this is not accepted by many customers.

That's why I opened an account at 2checkout because these payment methods (Visa / Mastercard) are advertised there. However. Do you have a tip for a payment service provider here in Thailand?

have a nice day

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi again, @Boomerang1. I’m sorry to hear 2Checkout has made this change, thank you for sharing this information though! It’s certainly disappointing that they no longer will process Mastercard and Visa directly through their gateway; I can see how this would be frustrating for both you and your customers. 

In terms of another gateway to use instead, the ones that are integrated with the Shopify platform and available in Thailand are listed here. Although I am not familiar enough with external gateways to confidently make a recommendation, I believe Skrill processes Visa and Mastercard through their gateway. Therefore, I would start by looking into them as an option.

What types of products do you sell? Another consideration, depending on your business type, is to include  Sezzle as a payment option. Sezzle allows for payments in installments. This can be appealing to customers, particularly with higher value orders, due to not having to pay the full amount immediately, but instead being able to spread the payment out over time. If this sounds like something you’d like to explore for your business, there’s an interesting article on the Shopify Plus page called Reduce Abandoned Carts with Buy Now Pay Later that gives some more insight into this strategy.

Hope this helps! Let me know what you decide to do.