Require country code for mobile numbers

Ash110
14 0 0

Hi,

Is there a way to require users to enter their country code with their mobile number at checkout? This could be a dropdown of countries, a separate box for users to enter it etc. I'm not a Shopify Plus customer so don't have the option of custom code unfortunately.

Thanks,

Ash

Replies 8 (8)

Ash110
14 0 0

Does anyone know the answer to this? It seems like a fairly simple question and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way to do it given that Shopify sells to international customers.

Ash110
14 0 0

Bump...

ThomasKyoto
Shopify Partner
72 3 23

Not sure it's a solution for you, but if you click on "edit" next to the Shipping address in an order page, Shopify will automatically display the phone country code and add it when saving (even without editing).

I'm curious to understand why you'll want the country code for mobile numbers?

Ash110
14 0 0

Thanks for the reply.

I will be selling digital products (tickets to events that are sent to customers via email). I will be selling tickets to customers from various countries and need a way to contact them in case there are any issues with the events (cancellations, time changes etc.). 

I need to be able to capture the country code so I can always contact them. I could rely on the billing address country but it's not always the case that a customer will have a phone number from the country in which their billing address is. 

As I'm selling digital products I won't be capturing the shipping details so I'm  not sure if your solution will work?

ThomasKyoto
Shopify Partner
72 3 23

Ok, got it!

In an order page, if you click on the customer name, you'll see their address used for billing.
You can then click on "edit address" and the country code will appear in front of the phone number, automatically added by Shopify.

(Shopify doesn't add country code in front of phone numbers by default because it can bring error with some shipping carrier when creating a shipment).

Ash110
14 0 0

But that isn't typed in by the customers is it? I assume that must be based on their billing address country?

In an ideal world I would like customers to have a dropdown of country codes next to the phone input when they're at checkout but I'm starting to doubt this is possible (at least without paying $2k per month)

ThomasKyoto
Shopify Partner
72 3 23

One thing you can do is to modify the text that appears in the phone number field, on the checkout page.

Got to your online store admin, click on Theme, then under "action", click on edit language.
You can modify this under "Checkout & System".

You can add a message there, instead of "phone", it could be "Phone number (add your country code)".

Phone 1.png

Phone 2.png

  

lenafuchs
Shopify Partner
12 0 0

Hi! Were you able to figure this out?