Selling and shipping products from UK to USA

MikePiscari
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, I'm a UK based business currently selling a physical product (it's not a restricted product or governed by the FDA rules) via Shopify to UK customers.

I have a potentially good market in the USA for my product, but it's not straight-forward due to sales taxes, state registration, import taxes, etc. The product sales price is circa USD190.

Does anyone have a Shopify based eCommerce solution that solves the following specific problems:

- Automatic calculation of state specific sales tax at checkout PLUS the ability to remit the correct state sales taxes on a regular basis

- How to deal with registering in-state when I have no idea which states buyers will be purchasing from

- Implications for export/import taxes from UK to USA

- Anything else I've missed

Thanks, Mike

Replies 3 (3)

ShipAntdotcom
Pathfinder
168 6 16

If you just start you do not need to think about register business in USA, as for tax, USA customs charge 0 tax for products value under 800 usd, thus you may also do not need to worry about tax at the beginning.

ShipAnt.com - Chinese dropshipping agent - reliable sourcing agent
MikePiscari
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks very much for your reply, very helpful

MariaUK
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi,

Does that mean that as a UK small business, when you set up your products on shopify, we need to leave the checkbox for "Charge tax on this product" blank? 

I am a small UK business that sells mainly to UK, US and Europe. Not registered for VAT as I don't make enough. My items are on average 100 GBP per dress sold. 

I want to set up my store so international customers can buy, but I'm confused as to whether I need to mark my items as "charge tax on this product".

Thanks for your help.