Selling internationally - setting international price rules and rounding up

ajmarriage
Tourist
11 0 0

Hi there, 

We are exploring international pricing for our US customers (we are based in the UK). Previously this was handled by a 3rd party (global-e)

We would like for this to be handled natively by Shopify which seems possible using the new international pricing rules that have been added.

However, we have come across the following issues:

1. Cannot seem to find rules for rounding up or down on 5 or 10 increments e.g. if price is converted to $43 we would rather show it as $45

2. The geolocation pop-up text doesn't seem to be editable and if the user clicks x (which we are finding is common due to user disdain for popups) then the pricing remains unchanged i.e. US customers continue to see our UK prices

Any help here would be much appreciated!

Replies 4 (4)

ajmarriage
Tourist
11 0 0

Is it possible to automatically switch the currency without showing the pop-up?

LibertineFragra
Tourist
7 0 4

I am looking for info on this same problem. It seems like allowing the prices in different regions to be very available is a great way to cause frustrations in customers that are paying the higher price.

coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
141 13 74

Hi @ajmarriage @LibertineFragra,

I can offer some input here:

1. To automatically show customers their local currency & pricing, use international domains and automatic redirects. When automatically redirecting, this should take place across unique URLs e.g. changing currency alone based on IP address, within the same domain, is frowned upon by Google and can result in detrimental SEO impact. With international domains, you can have website.com which defaults to USD, and website.ca or ca.website.com defaulted to CAD. Buyers from Canada and the US will be automatically redirected to the correct domain if they land on the wrong one, and hence their local pricing too.
  2. With the Geolocation app, we'd recommend enabling the centre modal pop up. This variation of recommendation gets the highest amount of visitors accepting it, and actually improves your international conversion rates by increasing the likelihood that customers land in their correct currency. This recommendation is obviously a fallback for automatic redirection, or for countries/regions that you do not want to setup an international domain and automatic redirection for.
  3. Rounding rules currently do not allow you to specify rounding to the nearest $5, $10 etc, but if you are on the Advanced plan or above, you can set specific prices so that they appear exactly how you want them to for each country/region.

I hope this helps!

Cole | Product @Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
141 13 74

One thing I also forgot - if you set prices or price adjustments, and a customer tries to check out in a different currency that doesn't match their shipping address, we automatically enforce your pricing for that country/region at checkout, so you don't have to worry about customers "cheating" your pricing.

Cole | Product @Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog