Setting up subfolders to target different countries - possible with one Shopify account?

sylvie_n
Excursionist
15 0 2

Hello,

For SEO purposes, we would like to target separate countries using subfolders.

To start with, we would target the US with the main domain, and then the uk with www.domain.com/uk/

Going forward, we would also like to target Norway, with www.domain.com/no/

The uk folder would have a duplicate of the website, but with slightly different wording and £s instead of $s

The Norwegian folder would be a duplicate of the website, but in Norwegian, and with Euros.

Is this possible on Shopify? Is it possible with one single account or would we have to have an account for each country? (I can see the headaches already with multiple accounts!)

Many thanks,

Sylvia

0 Likes
coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
73 0 37

Hi Sylvia, you can target countries like this today with subdomains using our international domains product.

While I don't have any timelines to share, we are working on adding the capability to target different countries or regions, similar to you have outlined, using subfolders.

Cole Atkinson | Product @ Shopify
0 Likes
PowerAlco
10 0 0

Hi Shopify team, can you confirm if the OPs request is now available with Shopify Pro?

0 Likes
coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
73 0 37
Hi! Can you clarify what you mean by OPs please?
0 Likes
PowerAlco
10 0 0

With OP I mean the original poster. The person who asked the question originally. I'd like to know if this is now possible with Shopify Pro. I will paste the OPs post below:

---------------------------------------------------------------

For SEO purposes, we would like to target separate countries using subfolders.

To start with, we would target the US with the main domain, and then the uk with www.domain.com/uk/

Going forward, we would also like to target Norway, with www.domain.com/no/

The uk folder would have a duplicate of the website, but with slightly different wording and £s instead of $s

The Norwegian folder would be a duplicate of the website, but in Norwegian, and with Euros.

Is this possible on Shopify? Is it possible with one single account or would we have to have an account for each country? (I can see the headaches already with multiple accounts!)

Many thanks,

Sylvia

0 Likes
coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
73 0 37
This isn't yet possible, no, but something we are working on. We will be
sure to update as this becomes available!
0 Likes
PowerAlco
10 0 0

So country targeting is only possible with subdomains and not subfolders/directories? 

0 Likes
coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
73 0 37
At the moment, that's correct yes.
0 Likes
PowerAlco
10 0 0

Thanks. Will check back in a couple of month's time. 

0 Likes
El_Bouck
Tourist
5 0 6

@coleatkinson still no news about this?

We'll translate our store this August. Likely going with 2 Shopify stores and 2 different TLD. Just pretty annoying in terms of SEO because we're not especially targeting a country but rather a new language. Additionally, the off-site SEO tasks will double.

Cheers,

Gaétan

0 Likes