Shopify in country A and PayPal in Country b

Skytulip
Tourist
14 0 1

HI all, 

do you know if Shopify in one country can accept Paypal from another country? 

Thanks

Kirill 

Replies 6 (6)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @Skytulip,

Thanks for getting in touch. My understanding is that if you have a PayPal business account and set it up on your Shopify store, you'll be able to accept PayPal payments from customers around the world. You won't be restricted to just accepting payments from customers the country that you yourself are based in.

Where are you based, and where do you want to sell to?

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Skytulip
Tourist
14 0 1

Thanks for your reply. 

I think I got you confused there. 

PayPal is from one country Shopify is from another country so the question isn't about receiving payments but rather can PayPal and Shopify be connected from different countries. 

like US and UK or US and EU and etc....

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @Skytulip,

Right, I see. Can you tell me the country you've used when providing your address to Shopify, and for which country you are registered for PayPal? Have you tried connecting your PayPal account to your Shopify store yet?

Skytulip
Tourist
14 0 1

Haven’t tried but would love to have ability to connect Shopify Singapore or Australia to US PayPal business account and vice Versa. Thanks! 

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @Skytulip,

Right, I see. This may be possible, but what might cause an issue is if there is a currency mismatch. For example, PayPal may prevent you from receiving payments via your US business account (which is presumably in USD) if your store's currency is in AUD or SGD. Do you know yet what your store's default currency is or will be?

My recommendation would be to try connecting your PayPal account to Shopify and placing an order on your store to see if the payment goes through, for testing purposes. If there is an issue, I would recommend contacting PayPal directly and asking if there's any limitations placed on their end on using a US business account when your store is based in another country and accepts payments in a currency that is not USD.

Skytulip
Tourist
14 0 1

thanks again. 

the reason I asked is because I don't have any of this set up nor resources to do so. 

I thought Shopify given its resources and eagerness for customer experience would have explored things like that especially with the most popular processes in the world PayPal. 

This isn't tax advice so technicalities such as this should be known to customers at least from my opinion. 

if Shopify doesn't have any information on this it's fine but perhaps the company should add more resources to provide this information given its customers are so global. 

Otherwise it would look very similar to another gov't department that will do anything only after elections 🙂 

Thanks