Starting a store for US customers even though company located elsewhere

StephaneFinland
4 0 0

Hello,

i am planning to both open a company based on Finland while targeting first on US market. While trying to open a store with the free trial , I have noted it looks at my own address to determine I am aiming at European customers .

is there a way to open a store for customers in US exclusively at first ? Or should it really go to adding new country after creating the store with European customers ?

Stephane 

Replies 3 (3)

ThomasKyoto
Shopify Partner
72 3 23

Hi Stephane,

What do you mean by "it looks at my own address to determine I am aiming at European customers"?

You are free to setup shipping fee for customers based in the US only, ship from Finland (or from the States if you can ship your inventory there).
It's the way you'll market your store that should determine that you are aiming at customers in the US.

StephaneFinland
4 0 0

Hello,

thank you. I meant setting up the store with my address in Finland , influenced both currency selection and shipping profile.

and you are right changing the shipping profile does help. Thank you.

my present understanding to set a shop for US customers even though the business is located elsewhere is : add US in the shipping profile and chance the currency to dollars, and of course mind the tax maybe through the help of tax jar or equivalent. Would you see anything else missing ? 

ThomasKyoto
Shopify Partner
72 3 23

You can select USD as the default currency, or you can also use the Shopify Geolocation App. Your US customer will automatically see USD by default.
Keeping Euro might help you if you use "cost per item" on product page to track how much you are making.

Shipping profile: this all depend on where you ship from.
You can ship from Finland to you customers in the US unless you plan to have your inventory in the USA.