Solved

Sub directories versus sub domains for international. What is the better option and how do I do it??

simplynootropic
Visitor
3 0 0

I have spent the last 12 hours researching the limitations of Shopify and how i can setup sub directories to achieve a setup for my international store.

I come from a background of SEO, so naturally I am trying to setup a sub folder structure versus a subdomain structure. Although people will argue that it does not have an impact, from my experience a sub folder structure will outperform a subdomain structure all day, every day.

I read that Shopify is releasing sub folders and making it easier, but haven't found or read anything tangible after that which dates back to 2019.

I need your help, can someone please tell me the limitations of sub domains or whether I am better off paying a developer to code a sub folder structure for my international website. Here is what I need to achieve:

.com (will be USA) and the main website

.com/nz     or      nz.businesname.com (New Zealand)

.com/au     or      au.businesname.com (Australia)

I don't need multi language.

I am not interested in using TLD and having to build domain authority across three different locations, so that's out for me.

I do need multi currency (three currencies)

I want to be able to control the prices on all iterations so the price in each country is not random like $132.79 but is rounded. I assume I can control this by doing a manual conversion from US to NZ with a % rule, then rounding the number off? I will then take the hit if there is currency fluctuation but this sounds like the only way to do it for now with no manual control?

I want to have specific content on each websites home page iteration to localise it for SEO (and a category page)

I know how to geo route someone based on I.P so that's no issue.

Sub domains:

- If I go down this route, does this mean:

- 3 x shopify accounts and fees?

- 3 x lots of APPS?

- 3 x Klaviyo setup? etc

I assume that's what these guys did:

https://au.koala.com/

https://au.gymshark.com/

Sub folder:

This is the same website, I pay one fee, one lot of apps, I can keep my marketing tech stack to 1 login?

Are there limitations with setting this up?

I tested langify which created a sub directory version of my website. This would have been perfect however I do not need multiple languages and had no control around the drop down/countries. All of my countries are english speaking.

I need to make a decision but I'm nervous to make the wrong one. If anyone has any information on anything I've discussed here, I appreciate you!

Accepted Solution (1)
rohitmishra
Shopify Staff
21 2 14

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, I work on global commerce at Shopify. We are looking in to adding support for subfolders for selling internationally. I don't have a timeline to share at the moment. Right now, we support setting up international domains within a single store. Each domain can have its own currency and language. You can learn more about this here https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/online-store/os/domains/managing-domains/international-domains

Product Lead, Global Commerce and Sales Tax

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

sylvie_n
Excursionist
15 0 3

Hello!

I am in a similar situation to you, and also come from an SEO background.

I recently posted this, and haven't had any replies yet: https://community.shopify.com/c/Selling-Internationally/Setting-up-subfolders-to-target-different-co...

Just wondered if you had come to a decision yet or found any more information on this?

Much appreciated!

rohitmishra
Shopify Staff
21 2 14

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, I work on global commerce at Shopify. We are looking in to adding support for subfolders for selling internationally. I don't have a timeline to share at the moment. Right now, we support setting up international domains within a single store. Each domain can have its own currency and language. You can learn more about this here https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/online-store/os/domains/managing-domains/international-domains

Product Lead, Global Commerce and Sales Tax
ScottShorter
Visitor
1 0 0

Is there any update on the usage of subfolders for international e-commerce? Subfolders for international SEO will dominate unique ccTLDs or subdomains.

El_Bouck
Tourist
6 0 8

@rohitmishra Any news on using subfolders for selling internationally?

It would really be useful!

Regards,

Gaétan

Leggets
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, 

I'm also looking to create sub directories - totally agree with you on the SEO impact, but I need multiple languages and currencies. Did you find a solution please? 

Thanks. 

simplynootropic
Visitor
3 0 0
No, I came to the conclusion it’s not possible. I have to use sub domain
and have multiple versions of the website which means multiple shopify and
app costs. Might look at another platform

PowerAlco
10 0 0

Seems it is eventually possible with Shopify Markets! Whooop!