Two stores question + re-routing audience to the right store.

mique
Tourist
5 0 0

Hi

I'm setting up a store to sell products to EU customers in EUR. For USA, Asia and all other countries I would like to set-up a store with prices in USD.
After researching, it appears the best option is to have two stores, one for EUR and one for USD customers. After exporting the theme, and setting up the new USD store, how do I route EU customers to the EUR store, and all others to USD store? Is there anything else I should know before starting with duplication and setting up USD store. What are best practices, what to do with domains (USD store on subdomain?)

thanks for any kind of advice/help

Replies 7 (7)

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

Hey, @mique 

In order to send country-specific customers to your preferred online store(s), you will want a redirect app to accomplish this. An app such as Geolizr is going to do exactly that. With this app, you can display country-specific content, redirect visitors to a country-specific store, and display all prices in your visitor's local currency. The app offers a 7-day free trial and is then $10/month afterward.

Feel free to give it a look! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

QuestionByAlex
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi @Dirk 

thanks a lot for your answer to @mique s questions.

I would like to ask a follow up question just to make sure that I understand you right:

In your reply you are referring to two separate Shopify web shops, right (so not a translation within one Shopify account)? I am currently in a similar situation where I will set up two separate shops (one for selling in UK, one in the EU). Can you still use an App like Geolizr for it?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Alex.

mique
Tourist
5 0 0

so if I understand, I have two options with Geolizr. Either stay on one store and just change the currency for USD customers, or set up the second store (native USD) and let Geolizr redirect customers to the second store, right?

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

Hey, @QuestionByAlex! Yep, that is correct. Geolizr is a redirect app that also provides currency conversions. But you can use Geolizr in order to have two online store accounts that send visitors to the correct store based on their location.

QuestionByAlex
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi @Dirk 

thanks again for your answer 🙂

Would using Geolizr have a negative impact on the SEO ranking of the websites?

And would you recommend using a little pop up do guide the user towards the other website or simply redirect the user to the "correct" website?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Alex.

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

Great question, @QuestionByAlex.

Your question on the potential SEO implications is a question best suited for the Geolizr team to answer. You can email them here.

As far as adding a popup, I think it's personal preference but I would opt to go with the pop-up instead of automatic redirection. With the popup, the visitor will know why they are being redirected. If it happens automatically, some visitors might be confused and put off by it. 

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

EllaBrown2021
Excursionist
92 0 9

You need a redirect app to accomplish this.

banned