Where is the translation content saved? Want to delte my old translation app without loosing my data

Where is the translation content saved? Want to delte my old translation app without loosing my data

VortexVR
Shopify Partner
30 1 17

Dear Shopify,

I have been using the Etranslate app for a long time as we are using Shopify Markets in 20 countries and domains.
Now we found that the Shopify Translate & Adapt app has additional features that we needed to customize the German languge translations for Germany and Austria where they are using the same language, and it really worked.

Now, I would like to delete the Etranslate app, and stay only with the "Shopify Translate & Adapt" app for all our translations. As I have tested several translations apps, I always see the translated content inside each of these apps, so naturally I assume that the translations have their own safe storage inside the Shopify system.
Can someone please verify where these translations reside, so I dont loose anything, before I attempt to delete the Etranslate app?

Sincerely,
Huge thanks!

Replies 2 (2)

Transcy
Shopify Partner
285 19 85

Hello @VortexVR ,

We are Transcy - a powerful translator and currencies converter.

When you use the an app in Shopify, the translations are typically stored within the app itself or in a separate database within your Shopify store. This means that if you uninstall a translation app, the translations associated with that app may no longer be accessible.

Before uninstalling the Etranslate app, it's a good idea to make sure that any translations made by that app are fully synced and saved within your Shopify store. You can follow these steps:

• Open Etranslate and make sure all translations are up-to-date and fully synced.
  • Export the translations made by the Etranslate app as a backup. To do this, go to the Etranslate app and look for an option to export translations. This will typically create a CSV file that contains all of your translated content.
  • Install the "Shopify Translate & Adapt" app and verify that it can access and display the existing translations made by Etranslate.
  • Once you've verified that the new app can access your existing translations, you can safely uninstall the Etranslate app.

Hope these can help you. Please hit the Like Button or mark this as Accepted Solution for us, it encourage us a lot.

Regards,

Transcy team.

Transcy - The #1 Translation and Currency Converter
- Was my answer helpful? Please hit Like or Mark it as solution!
- Get in touch with us: App Store | Blog

richbrown_staff
Shopify Staff
651 96 161

Hey @VortexVR , ETranslate also uses the Translations API so the translations are stored in Shopify's database. That is unless you use ETranslate's 'Page elements' feature which lets you translate otherwise untranslatable content in the front end. You can run both apps together, and then export translations via Settings > Languages > Export and check that all your content is there. Then it's safe to turn either one off.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.