Join us for an upcoming Shopify Partner webinar on February 27, 2024. Discover the latest Checkout Extensibility features, and deep dive on improvements to Shopify Functions and Web Pixels. Register now for either the 10am EST or 2pm EST sessions.

metafields python API

isaacdvory
Tourist
16 0 2

Hello,

I'm using this git project: https://github.com/Shopify/shopify_python_api   to use shopify api.

I'm trying to upload a product with metafields, but I can't get it to work, everything else is working great. 

this is what I'm doing: 

product = shopify.Product()
product.metafields = [{
"key": "long_description",
"value": "test",
"value_type": "string",
"namespace": "prd_long_description"
}]

of course, filling out all other needed info, doing product.save() , but no metafield...

Can someone help me with this please? if not possible to do on product upload, I don't mind doing it with another call , but I couldn't find a way to add metafield with that project to a specific product...

Thank you!

Replies 3 (3)

Andreas_S
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

Currently also looking for this functionality... Hence, stumbled over your posting. As the documentation of the Python API project has some room for improvement, I tend to read the source. Which is quiet descriptive:

In your IDE click on shopify.Product, opens the Products source file, which contains

class Product(ShopifyResource, mixins.Metafields, mixins.Events):

Click on mixins.Metafields opens Metafiedls object, which contains the method def add_metafield(self, metafield):

Hence, try somthing like:

product.add_metafield({
"key": "long_description",
"value": "test",
"value_type": "string",
"namespace": "prd_long_description"
})

Hope this helps.

But take care: If there is an error, ther is no exception thrown. This might be normal Ruby ActiveRecord behavior, but did cost me some hours to recocnise there is a problem at all!

Better check the Metafield.errors or Product.errors object for success or error.

In my opinion, it's never a very clever idea to port one language common behavior to an other language, where nobody expects it.

isaacdvory
Tourist
16 0 2

Thanks Adnreas.

This is what ended up working for me: 

product.add_metafield(shopify.Metafield({
        'key': 'long_description',
        'value': 'test',
        'value_type': 'string',
        'namespace': 'prd_long_description'
    }))

I'll have to do it after the product has been saved. 

When I try yours (before product is saved) I get this error: 

shopify/mixins.py", line 26, in add_metafield
    raise ValueError("You can only add metafields to a resource that has been saved")
ValueError: You can only add metafields to a resource that has been saved

and I also get an error when trying it after : 

shopify/mixins.py", line 28, in add_metafield
    metafield._prefix_options = dict(resource=self.__class__.plural, resource_id=self.id)
AttributeError: 'dict' object has no attribute '_prefix_options'

Unfortunately, with the way I found, I need to do an API call for each metafield I want to add (and I have 7), so that's kind of sucks... I was hopeing to find a way to do it before the product save, like shoopify API documentation shows. 

"documentation of the Python API project has some room for improvement" - that's an understatment 🙂 

Thanks anyway. 

Andreas_S
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

😄 You cought me! I postet my answer, before I tested it itself. And we both got bitten for my hurry...

I edited my last post, to reflect my findings. But your post turned me into the right direction 😉

Thanks.