Join us for an upcoming Shopify Partner webinar on February 27, 2024. Discover the latest Checkout Extensibility features, and deep dive on improvements to Shopify Functions and Web Pixels. Register now for either the 10am EST or 2pm EST sessions.
Solved

New 2000 variant limit for all or shopify plus exclusive?

pierre-francis
Tourist
5 0 7

Hello

The new, 2000 variant limit for product is like a dream coming trough finally but will it be available for all shopify users or exclusive to shopify plus?

Another question, this limit will be raised for certain apps to be installed and to increase current limits or this will be increased without combining extra apps to go over current limit of 100 variants?

Accepted Solutions (3)

Ashish_Shah
Shopify Staff
4 1 5

This is an accepted solution.

Hello

The new 2000 variant limits are planned to be made available to all Shopify Users. Currently the APIs are in developer preview and can only be used by developer stores.

The variant limits will be at a shop level, not at an App level.  Always query what a shop's limits. More information here

ALIAS | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

View solution in original post

JoesToes
Tourist
10 1 4

I've definitely read that the 2,000 limit is variants of one product and that it will be availbe to all but you'll need the right sort of theme. Also no news on when it will arrive. I typically sell kits for slippers that typically come in 10 sizes, 12 colours, 4 types of sole so I can't wait to see this impletmented!  https://www.shopify.com/editions/winter2024/video/product-merchandising-updates    The issue of only adding a set amount of new variants per day appears to be a side issue. 

Pratham8126
Shopify Partner
2 1 3

I tried this feature using developers preview but I can just test it not able to use it in my original store it is asking to create a demo development store there I am able to add 2000 variants but not on my store.

Replies 11 (11)

kchan
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

to piggy back off this - What will rate limits look like for shops with over 50k variations with 1k 

Specifically:

The following Admin API resources, in both GraphQL and REST versions, have an additional throttle that takes effect when a store has 50,000 product variants. After this threshold is reached, no more than 1,000 new variants can be created per day.
https://shopify.dev/docs/api/usage/rate-limits#resource-based-rate-limits

This is very easy to do and most of my customers run in to this issue almost everyday and we have to reference this article to them.

pierre-francis
Tourist
5 0 7

Well so that's not what I was expecting really. I was more like hoping that Single product variant limit will be increased in product catalog rather than daily upload limits? Bit miss-leading to be fair

Is Shopify Aiming to increase product Viariant limit at all

Ashish_Shah
Shopify Staff
4 1 5

Hello

The new 2000 variant limits are planned to be made available to all Shopify Users. Currently the APIs are in developer preview and can only be used by developer stores.

The variant limits will be at a shop level, not at an App level.  Always query what a shop's limits. More information here

ALIAS | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

Tetiana_Bilokon
Shopify Partner
2 0 3

I would like to emphasize the importance of implementing this feature as soon as possible. For our store, not being able to create a product with more than 100 variants is a significant obstacle. So expanding the number of variants to 2000 will attract many such customers.

JoesToes
Tourist
10 1 4

I've definitely read that the 2,000 limit is variants of one product and that it will be availbe to all but you'll need the right sort of theme. Also no news on when it will arrive. I typically sell kits for slippers that typically come in 10 sizes, 12 colours, 4 types of sole so I can't wait to see this impletmented!  https://www.shopify.com/editions/winter2024/video/product-merchandising-updates    The issue of only adding a set amount of new variants per day appears to be a side issue. 

pierre-francis
Tourist
5 0 7

This is exactly how I understand this change, however I'm bit worried that this is just a hook for now. But at least for me it's most awaited feature - ability to Add Hoodie in 9 different sizes multiplied by over 40 colours

Pez-SY
Tourist
9 0 5

I'm also very curious about this, and glad to know it's not Plus exclusive. Additionally I guess that means the 250 images per product cap will be lifted.

Does anyone know if it's still going to be one image per variant by default? I'm currently getting around this by using an app.

pierre-francis
Tourist
5 0 7

Not sure if this will be lifted but currently I have learned how to work out more images - 1 image per variant is fine, additional images I'm just adding to product itself so customer can scroll the pictures but still it will use the front image as a proof of purchase

Pratham8126
Shopify Partner
2 1 3

How can we implement it in our store using developers profile?

Pratham8126
Shopify Partner
2 1 3

I tried this feature using developers preview but I can just test it not able to use it in my original store it is asking to create a demo development store there I am able to add 2000 variants but not on my store.

pierre-francis
Tourist
5 0 7

Thank you for update, This brings a lot of hope for us! 🙂 This will be a game changer