Advanced Product Metafield Search Filter

wop
Visitor
3 0 0

Use Case: Auto Parts:  auto parts can fit several makes, models, and years.

Current status: we have product pages with basic part descriptions.  We have also included a metafield table within each product page showing all fitment options.  (make, model, year, etc.)

Problem: The current "shop" serach only searches the product title and seems to be limited to single words or exact matches.  we want our buyer to have the ability to use multiple words to find the best match (this is a search of all product titles and the metafield data in each product listing).

Example:  a buyer may enter "2016 BMW 550i valve cover"  

Title:

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 4.50.51 PM.jpg

Metafield table in each product listing.

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 4.11.23 PM.jpg

This search concept is based on eBay's multi-word search.  The results are displayed in order based on the relevance of the word match. 
I know this is probably pretty advance, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Replies 9 (9)

MetafieldsGuru
Shopify Partner
158 32 96

Hi @wop ,

You're correct, the default Shopify search algorithm is not compatible with metafields. There is a predefined set of the fields that products are being searched/filtered by: name, sku etc. 
I managed to find a couple of similar Shopify support threads; however, none of them seem to have a solution provided by Shopify representatives or merchants who succeeded in resolving this problem: 
1) link
2) link
It appears that the only option to incorporate a metafields-based search/filter is to ask your developer to create a custom JavaScript code to loop through all the products metafields via the Shopify API and additionally filter the search results based on metafields values. 
Check out Metafields Guru, the #1 ranked metafields app.

Bulk editor | Data import/export | Metafield sets | Browser extension
wop
Visitor
3 0 0

Thank you for the reply and the advice!   In your opinion where is the best place to find such a developer?

MetafieldsGuru
Shopify Partner
158 32 96

Hi @wop ,

To be honest, I’ve never been through this process personally, but usually it’s considered to be a good idea to hire a Shopify expert

Check out Metafields Guru, the #1 ranked metafields app.

Bulk editor | Data import/export | Metafield sets | Browser extension
wop
Visitor
3 0 0
Ok, thanks again!

SoBooster
Shopify Partner
36 1 1

Hi,

YMM filter with metafields can easily be done with the help of our app https://apps.shopify.com/ultimate-search-filter-year-make-model. The app is new but we have done this to several clients already. You can see a demo store to see if you like it.

Basically here are some of the steps we would need from you to make it happen:

We use Tags or Metafields to set up YMM solutions. If you have not created any product data for your YMM. I will recommend using metafields as they are easy to manage and have no limits, unlike Shopify tags. If you have created the data with tags - we can work with that as well.

Here is an example of how you will add metafields to each product or variant:
Metafield namespace: global
Metafield key: ymm
Metafield value: Year|Make|Model^^Year|Make|Model. For example 1995|Tesla|S^^1995|Honda|X^^2005|Honda|X

You can add as many YMM's datasets to a product or a variant - each dataset will be delimited with this "^^" and the values will be delimited with "|". Whenever the YMM attached to a product is entered in the search bar, the correct product will be shown as result.

Auto-Key
6 0 0

2023-07-19 09_00_09-Window.jpg

 Hi

We are looking for a good solution to our serch bar year, make, model.

Today I use an exel and import a JASON file.

This is not working as we want.

We have all data in: Collection is Make. Tags is Model and year.

We have all technical info on car keys in meta fields.

Our website: www.auto-key.no

If you can help out, We would aprisiate your replay.

Bernt Ole

jasondangsb
Shopify Partner
117 0 5

Please check a client that's using our app: https://alberta-cycle-motorsports.myshopify.com/collections/all

Our new YMM way will be faster than that store. Our app: https://apps.shopify.com/ultimate-search-and-filter-1

Auto-Key
6 0 0
Hi and thanks for your swift replay.

Are you using meta field for this solution?

I have car make in Collection and model, year in Tags.

Can this be used ore do I have to move it to meta fields?

One key can go with multiple car models and different years, is this a
problem?

When I search you page in Alberta Cycle some come up empty.

Can it be arrange in a way that if I don't have a key for a specific car
model you won't get the possibility to choose it?

What is the cost of getting your model implemented in my shop?

jasondangsb
Shopify Partner
117 0 5

We can do YMM with any fields except Product Title and Description. You would not need to convert your existing data to Metafields. Please email support@sobooster.com for more info.