APP Section Liquid Files REST Access

Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1547 44 345
I've played with the new app sections over the weekend and I am very excited about this new functionality.
I see that the uploaded Liquid file is not accessible in the theme editor.

My question is, will there be any way of modifying those uploaded Liquid files from the APP?
Is there a way that the Liquid file schema to be modified bases on user input in the main APP?

For example:
The user makes a change through the APP, let's say modifies a string.
The APP Liquid section translate schema gets modified with that new string.

Hope it makes sense.

Thank you
Finally—Add variant descriptions to your products
Replies 3 (3)

Liam
Shopify Staff
2731 297 760

Hi Mircea,

Great to hear you're trying out the new app sections, we expect they will add a lot more flexibility to online stores 🙂 If I understand you correctly, you are wondering how changes that a merchant makes on the app itself will be transferred to the app section? It will be possible to set up apps so that when a merchant interacts with an app, these changes will be automatically reflected on the app section/ snippet. Similarly, when an app developer makes an update to an app, this update will be automatically pushed to the app section/ snippet. 

Hope this helps Mircea 🙂

Liam Griffin

Shopify | Partner Education

Liam | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1547 44 345

Hi Liam,

Thank you for the fast response.

If I understand you correctly, you are wondering how changes that a merchant makes on the app itself will be transferred to the app section?

Yes this is correct.

I will try to give you an example:

The Liquid section contains the following entry in schema:

{
        "type": "color",
        "id": "bg",
        "label": "Background",
        "default": "#ffffff"
      }

In the APP the user assigns a new color: #000000.

What would be the mechanism that would allow me to modify the Liquid section code to reflect this change?

The desired output would be:

{
        "type": "color",
        "id": "bg",
        "label": "Background",
        "default": "#000000"
      }

My best bet is the "overrides property" insert_content: https://help.shopify.com/en/api/reference/online-store/sections#the-overrides-property.

Am I on the right track? Is this something that can be tested at this moment.

Thank you.

Finally—Add variant descriptions to your products
jam_chan
Shopify Partner
891 23 171

@Mircea_Piturca 

I am looking for the same thing. How can you pass the settings from the app to the section liquid file? 

It's easy to create a section setting to be edited in the theme editor. But I don't find a way to pass from app to section?

BYOB - Build Your Own Bundles, SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview