Filter by Tag in Dawn Theme

mattnz
Tourist
8 0 15

Well that would be good to get an answer or a clearer picture on what is Shopify's plan in that regard. Not sure if they happen to read posts, or they just staying away from this conversation in purpose?

Ikonity
2 0 2

Not really a workaround for us, cause we are a Marketplace and importing product data from other shopify stores, not easy to normalize the data to use the product options filters  
We have a lot of different color names which we now have normalized with tags, so for example 10 different names of "red" are merged to Red.

Lassou_Admin
Tourist
8 0 9

@Ikonity We're in exactly the same situation as you are, with the marketplace and Shopify connections. The switch to 2.0 turns out to be a huge step backwards when it comes to giving the customer a sensible and useful filtering solution. If you find a solution, that isn't just a return to the 1.0 theme, or implementing Boost (which doesn't support all themes), then please share the solution here. I will also do that same if we come across something. 

+1

I agree; we need to be able to filter by tags. I find tag filtering way more important than product option filtering. Please add this as soon as possible.

I found two ways around it for now but they aren't perfect.

1. Use the tags to link to smaller collections while storing the current URL parameters and applying it after it's redirected (but then you have many collections, especially if you, like me, want to have categories, sub-categories, sub-sub-categories and etc.)

2. Use javascript & ajax to create a URL parameter (But you need an external server and a lot of coding). This is way too difficult for only filtering by tags and the amount of time and resources spent on it is not worth it in my opinion. If I needed some very advanced filtering system, this would make sense but at the moment, the tag filtering is the only thing missing for me.

Please add this option as soon as possible, thank you.

0 Likes
LetsGetDigital
Shopify Partner
20 0 24

Online Store 2.0 has been a huge disappointment for us...

• Filter by Tags completely removed - where it should have been improved.
  • 'Sections Everywhere' became - "Sections on every page (lie) - Customize the content on most of your online store's pages." - Excluding ALL regular pages and blogs

It's a downgrade. What are the benefits for store owners and store visitors? - literally nothing tangible.

Shopify was awesome, so disappointed with this Store 2.0. There is so much they could have done to improve our customers' shopping experience. Instead it's been all about theme developers and made our shoppers' experience worse.

So so disappointed.

Laurie_ONeill
Shopify Partner
71 0 30

Yes I feel the same way. I've always been able to figure out how to customize Shopify exactly the way I want, and while it looks on the surface like it would be easier with sections all over, in reality a lot of it still needs customizing via code and it is so much more complicated now. Almost all the stores I work on use line item properties for personalized items and I used to be able to easily get those to show up on the correct part of the product page between the other product options and the checkout buttons, now that stuff is all locked into a form and there is no way to put that information into any place that makes logical sense during the ordering process. Combined with the lack of tag filtering this is making the 2.0 themes pretty useless for almost every store that I need to work on. I have one customer who really wants 2.0 and even though we chose a paid theme to start with I'm still struggling a lot with getting it to be a good shopping experience for the customer. The fact that tag filtering is available in a couple of the paid themes means it is somehow possible within 2.0 but I just don't know enough coding to figure out how to do it from scratch in Dawn.

Mattnz1
1 0 0

Hi Laurie,

you mentioned a couple of 2.0 themes have tag filtering.

Could you please tell me which ones are they? 

Thank you

Matt

0 Likes
Lassou_Admin
Tourist
8 0 9
Hi.
Do you know which 2.0 themes still have Tag filtering?
Thanks.
Luke
0 Likes
Laurie_ONeill
Shopify Partner
71 0 30

So far the only two I've seen with tag filtering are Modular and Empire. 

0 Likes
seb87
Shopify Partner
15 0 9

Is it really a theme feature? I think this is a missing necessary core feature from shopify and the themes need to support it.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-28 um 08.34.35.png