How can I enable and test app sections?

andrew-allen
Visitor
1 0 0

I saw this app sections functionality demo'd at Unite and I would love to test this out myself. I have a development store with the Unite 2019 preview enabled, but I can't seem to find how to do this. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

--

"For Shopify Partners, these updates will also unlock new app sections, giving merchants the ability to add apps to their storefront, just like they would any other section. We’ll be releasing a storefront app extension for partners to facilitate this."

Replies 12 (12)

Visely-Team
Shopify Partner
1843 210 488

This is a feature expected to be rolled out later this year, though there are no concrete dates.

Sergiu Svinarciuc | CTO @ visely.io
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog

Rishabh_Tayal
Shopify Partner
22 0 4

This is available for developer preview stores now. 

Visely-Team
Shopify Partner
1843 210 488

And a link to a guide on how one can setup a developer preview store - https://help.shopify.com/en/api/versioning/developer-preview

- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog
Rishabh_Tayal
Shopify Partner
22 0 4

@Visely-Team  However, I have been trying app sections on one of our app and developer preview store. Couldn't get it to be working. The app sections do not show in the store online editor. I am using debut theme for the dev store.

Visely-Team
Shopify Partner
1843 210 488

@Rishabh_Tayal maybe you know that, but still worths mentioning. At the moment of writing this, app sections/snippets are only available on Product Pages.

Rishabh_Tayal
Shopify Partner
22 0 4
Yes. I am aware of that. Thanks for mentioning.

Are you able to make it work?
Rishabh_Tayal
Shopify Partner
22 0 4

Finally, I was able to make the App Section make work. The solution was to install the new beta Debut theme on the development preview store. Here is the link to the beta theme. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0002/3166/9762/files/Debut-0.1-beta.zip

However, the app snippet is still not working on the theme. I have uploaded my snippet code to our app snippets in the app. Anyone got it working?

tim-a17
Tourist
5 0 5

I too have been trying to get App Section to work without success.  Any update to this?  Is there a newer version of the Beta theme file?  Thanks!

Liam
Shopify Staff
2731 298 769

Hi @tim-a17  Have you tried with the version of Debut linked above?

Liam

Liam | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

tim-a17
Tourist
5 0 5

Hi @Liam ,

I did not try the Debut theme file above as I was hoping to find an official reference/link from Shopify.  I've since found the article and will try it next.

Thanks!

Hytmer
Visitor
1 0 0

I also have been attempting to get App Section to work without progress. Any update to this? Is there a more up to date form of the Beta subject document? Much obliged!

Visely-Team
Shopify Partner
1843 210 488

@Hytmer yup. There you go - https://shopify.dev/apps/online-store/theme-app-extensions/extensions-framework#app-blocks Please note, these only work with the recently launched Online Store 2.0 https://www.shopify.com/partners/blog/shopify-online-store