Solved

Master pages

Chris_Marshall1
Shopify Partner
37 1 11

Hi,

Question about the sections architecture and setup.

I have a subset products - let's call them a range. They're all by a certain designer. I want to include a content section about that designer on each of these pages.

Does the new sections architecture help me here? Can it make is possible to publish the same piece of content across multiple product pages in this way? I've tried creating master pages on the dev preview, but can't seem to get far with it.

Thanks

Chris

Accepted Solution (1)
Liam
Shopify Staff
2731 297 760

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Chris_Marshall1 

Fully understand that you need to work with the tools available today, but glad to hear you're keeping the transition in mind for the future.  

One of the main considerations would be to keep in mind that pages will be rendered using a range of different section types, so template files and sections should be built with the expectation that they can be split into components for page sections and content sections. We'll be creating practical guides aimed at developers demonstrating how to migrate existing themes to the new sections architecture prior to the merchant release of the Online Store Design Experience, so you will have time and resources to assist you with this.

Hope this helps,

Liam

Liam | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)

Liam
Shopify Staff
2731 297 760

Hi Chris,

That setup should work with the new Online Store Editor, however for V1 there will only be the option of one master page per page type. So you could create a product master page which contains this specific content section, and apply this master page to your subset range. All products which are not part of this subset would then be custom product pages. 

Hope this helps! 

Liam Griffin

Shopify | Developer Community Manager

- To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

Chris_Marshall1
Shopify Partner
37 1 11

Thanks @Liam 

Dare I ask - what's the broad timeline on the new experience rolling out? Are we talking weeks or months? Would really like to use it on upcoming projects but want to manage client expectations. Won't hold you to it 😉

Thanks

Chris

Liam
Shopify Staff
2731 297 760

Hi @Chris_Marshall1 

There is no public launch date available right now, but this will be available for merchants later this year. We have also just shipped sections on the cart, 404, and password pages for the developer preview stores, so these are open for testing right now. There will be a changelog update next week outlining some other new additions.

Cheers,

Liam Griffin

Shopify | Developer Community Manager

Chris_Marshall1
Shopify Partner
37 1 11

Thanks @Liam - I've taken a look at the new stuff and it looks great - good work.

As much as I'd love to use this on a large project we're about to kick off on, it doesn't sound like it will be ready for when we need to launch in September so will probably go with an alternative,

It's something we'd want to add as soon as it becomes available though, so what steps could we take on themes we're building right now to make that transition as smooth as possible? What do we need to consider in terms of forward-compatibility of themes? 

Thanks

Chris

Liam
Shopify Staff
2731 297 760

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Chris_Marshall1 

Fully understand that you need to work with the tools available today, but glad to hear you're keeping the transition in mind for the future.  

One of the main considerations would be to keep in mind that pages will be rendered using a range of different section types, so template files and sections should be built with the expectation that they can be split into components for page sections and content sections. We'll be creating practical guides aimed at developers demonstrating how to migrate existing themes to the new sections architecture prior to the merchant release of the Online Store Design Experience, so you will have time and resources to assist you with this.

Hope this helps,

Liam

Chris_Marshall1
Shopify Partner
37 1 11

Great stuff - thanks for the pointers @Liam .