Sections everyware and Translation APIs

Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1547 44 345
Hi,
This is a mixed question, hope this is the right place to post.
With the new sections everyware goodness, merchants will be leveraging this functionality.
A lot of the store content will be assigned trough sections.

How will the Translation API work with the new sections?
The TranslatableResourceType does not seems to allow access to sections content.
Will we be able to provide translators for sections content/blocks?
Am I wrong?

Thank you
Finally—Add variant descriptions to your products
Replies 7 (7)

Meekah
Visitor
1 0 0

Would like to reiterate, is this something that is planned for the future?

Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1547 44 345

@Meekah both "sections everyware" and Translation API are available in Unite Preview.

Not sure when will roll out.

sweta25_jadav
Shopify Partner
12 0 5

is it possible to translate section schema and apps content in new released translation apis ? Also email and sms templates ?

Liam
Shopify Staff
2731 297 760

Hi there @sweta25_jadav & @Mircea_Piturca,

I've looked into this, and it seems the Translation API currently cannot access the settings_data.json file. Since this is currently where content is stored when a merchant populates a field for a sections setting, the Translation API can't be used here. What you could do is add more content to the existing theme locale files and reference these values to translation keys in the code of your theme.  

For the new sections architecture, content for section settings will not be stored on the theme level, but on a store level, as a page resource. These fields and resources are currently not accessible by the Translation API, but we are looking into the best way to make these translatable and multi-lingual. 

I hope this helps,

Liam

Liam | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1547 44 345

@Liam thank you for the explanation.

It makes sense and answers my question.

Playing with Translation API I was unable to access and translate the current sections content.

We are all really looking forward for the new sections architecture 🙂

Thank you,

Mircea

sweta25_jadav
Shopify Partner
12 0 5

@Liam I have found that using "ONLINE_STORE_THEME" translation api we are able to translate some of the section content.. but don't know why some of the section contents are missing.. according to me I think shopify allows translation of schema content which is text or textarea..

Meltin-Bit
Shopify Partner
26 0 8

Hi! did you manage to translate dynamic section content (ex. textareas, inputs) without an third party app?

Fabio.

Meltin Bit