Solved

SVG Uploads Via the Customiser?

ConduciveMammal
Shopify Partner
40 1 16

Hey guys,

Is there any word on whether SVG images will be marked as allowed file types for uploading in the new Customiser?

Many people have waited a lifetime for this.

Liam Merlyn | Shopify Developer
Accepted Solution (1)
Liam
Shopify Staff
2731 297 760

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there @ConduciveMammal 

I've asked our internal dev team here, and the new online store experience will not allow SVG uploads at launch. This is due to the current limitation that Liquid has around resizing SVGs- however it is something we'll be looking to add. 

Hope this helps,

Liam 

Liam | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

ConduciveMammal
Shopify Partner
40 1 16

@Liam perhaps you may be able to shed some light on this? Or know someone that can?

Liam
Shopify Staff
2731 297 760

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there @ConduciveMammal 

I've asked our internal dev team here, and the new online store experience will not allow SVG uploads at launch. This is due to the current limitation that Liquid has around resizing SVGs- however it is something we'll be looking to add. 

Hope this helps,

Liam 

Liam | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

ConduciveMammal
Shopify Partner
40 1 16
Hey Liam,

Thanks a lot for the response and for actually giving me a reason as to why this limit exists ha! I’ve chased that reason for years with no answer 😃.

Thanks,
Liam.
t-bone
Visitor
2 0 0

So does that mean the system just won't take an SVG file? I have formatted .SVG with every conceivable option but cannot get the files to upload. I also never get a response from support about it. If SPOD just doesn't want anyone printing on sleeve areas, why dont they just remove the option?

KieranR
Shopify Partner
333 27 115

Also @ConduciveMammal SVG's have their own set security risks when you pair novice users with a potential security hole like "here use my SVG".

Shopify is not the only CMS that is reluctant to do this. Eg: 

But man do I love a good SVG

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.