Unable to log into customer account when using shopify theme serve

Solved
Allan-EP
Shopify Partner
11 0 17

Using the CLI command shopify theme serve I'm unable to log into a customer account to be able to preview/modify those templates. My guess is there's some kind of authentication/cookie issue since it's at http://127.0.0.1:9292/ but this is a significant road block for using the CLI for development. Has anyone run into this and found a fix?

Replies 17 (17)
Ogdila
Excursionist
27 0 5

I still have this issue. Would you please kindly tell me if you sorted this out? Thank you!!!

pepibumur
Shopify Staff
4 0 1

Hi @Ogdila, and apologies for the inconvenience.
Would you mind sharing more details about the error you are encountering? Does the CLI throw any error that might shed some light to understand the underlying error better?

Ogdila
Excursionist
27 0 5

Thanks, @pepibumur.

I did not receive an error.

I set up the CLI on my theme and started the development by typing "Shopify.theme.serve", then I can start editing my theme with all the hot reload and other CLI features locally.

The CLI serves the theme on  http://127.0.0.1:9292/, and all is good. However, when I want to work on the customer account template files locally, I go to the "login" button and try to log in "as a customer." The page redirects to the reCAPTCHA page, and no matter how many times I submit the reCAPTCHA, it refreshes the same page.

So I disabled the reCAPTCHA in my store settings and tried again. With the reCAPTCHA disabled, the login page refreshes itself instead of logging me in as a customer, so I cannot edit the account template pages locally.

It might be because of the "HTTP" that is not secured or because it's running on localhost. That, I am not sure.

pepibumur
Shopify Staff
4 0 1

Hi again,
Thanks for the detailed steps. May I ask what version of the CLI are you using? You can get it by running `shopify version`. In case you are not running the latest, 2.6.3, which was released yesterday, I'd recommend updating and trying again.

Ogdila
Excursionist
27 0 5

@pepibumur  I already tested  2.6.3 this morning, no change. I was thrilled when I saw three updates were pushed out the same night, and hoping that it may have this issue resolve, but it ain't. 

So what would be the root of my issue? Any idea?

pepibumur
Shopify Staff
4 0 1

Unfortunately, I can't pinpoint what the issue might be yet. Could you run the CLI but prefixing the command with `DEBUG=1` to see if more log verbosity sheds more light?.

Eben2
4 0 0

Can confirm that logging in with reCAPTCHA it is still an issue on 2.6.5

Ogdila
Excursionist
27 0 5