Whats the point of assigning a single json template to multiple pages?

nutrisail-llc
Tourist
4 0 1

For products at least, you might want to look more into metafields.  Depending on if you're theme has been updated to use new features in 2.0, it might offer the solution you're looking for.  I completely understand what you're saying.  It's useless to use the theme editor to put product specific marketing content on a product template unless it's only going to be used for that product, thus the only other solution would be to create a template for every single product.  With their new metafields feature, you can actually link components of content sections in a product template to dynamic sources pertaining to whichever product is being viewed with said template.  

We are setting up a store with dietary supplements and are using this for an image of the supplement facts.  We created a custom metafield that accepts images called "supplement facts.".  On our product template, we can add a section or a block in a section that contains an image holder.  We can upload an image (which will use that image on anything that uses that template), or...we have the option to connect the image holder to a metafield, like our supp facts metafield.  Now whichever product a customer is viewing that's using said product template, the image holder will pull the image of the supp facts for that product.  

I'm still learning this new system as well, so I apologize if I misunderstood the issue you were explaining.  But if I did understand correctly, hopefully this can offer you some new insight.  

0 Likes
eballeste1
Excursionist
18 2 5

@nutrisail-llc gotchthanks, I sort of get the overall gist of what you're saying.

we use the ACF custom fields app to do basically everything product related with over 108 custom fields which is why we thought that through sections everywhere, we would remove our need for this 3rd party app. welpScreen Shot 2021-09-23 at 8.58.18 PM.png

0 Likes
eballeste1
Excursionist
18 2 5

Shopify please, using a third party app to manage metadata that will only be used in a single page/resource does not make sense. Sections and section settings make ALL the sense in the world especially when it's editable via your Theme Customizer UI. It's easy to figure out, the fields only show up if you add a specific section. Content editors get immediate feedback. Easy. 

If you look at my screenshot above, we need all of those fields just for product pages, but not all product pages need or use all of those fields. This is super hard to maintain and it's hard to figure out which fields our editors are working with because there is no context. I don't know maybe it's a limitation of the app I'm using and maybe there is an app that has a better interface that filter fields by context of the resource that uses them but it would be so much better if I could do this all from your theme editor! We get a little taste of the good life but then we hit all these weird limitations. 

Is there something planned for this or is this all just wishful thinking?

0 Likes