Why templates which under `customers` of Dawn doesn't JSON format?

Solved
kogai
Shopify Partner
37 8 53

Hi, all.

I’m getting started to explore Dawn's theme to become familiar with Online Store 2.0 as an App dev.

Just curious does somebody know why Dawn doesn’t provide its templates related to customers such as `customers/login` or `customers/register` by JSON-template format instead of liquid?

Several apps(ours is included) should be want to inject their App Block into customer's pages.
For example, consider when an app wants to provide to extend the account registration form by injecting an additional text box.

At least, it seems not to exist any technical reason to prevent implementing customers' templates by using JSON-template.

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding something.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Liam
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
689 19 264

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Kogai,

Great question! The JSON templates do support customer page types, so you expect to see themes using this template method on future versions of Shopify themes. 

I would expect that with upcoming versions of themes that use JSON templates for customer pages, your app will be able to interact with merchant's stores as an app block, which will bring with it the benefits of being more robust and easier for merchants to use. 

Hope this helps,

Liam  

Liam | Developer Community Manager @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)
Liam
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
689 19 264

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Kogai,

Great question! The JSON templates do support customer page types, so you expect to see themes using this template method on future versions of Shopify themes. 

I would expect that with upcoming versions of themes that use JSON templates for customer pages, your app will be able to interact with merchant's stores as an app block, which will bring with it the benefits of being more robust and easier for merchants to use. 

Hope this helps,

Liam  

Liam | Developer Community Manager @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

kogai
Shopify Partner
37 8 53

Sounds great!

I believe we can got sure that theme developers will follow Dawn as an example, so it would be great if Dawn will support its customers' pages by using JSON-template!

Thank you very much for your answer!