Differences Between Mobile and Desktop Behavior on Checkout

Differences Between Mobile and Desktop Behavior on Checkout

CanamStoreDev1
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello,

I make use of different line_item properties to dynamically update the line_item.original_line_price in my store and I have a question regarding the behavior differences between mobile and desktop. I've been using a slightly customized version of Debut theme, and noticed differences in how checkout fetches the line_items on both platform. It seems mobile gets its quantity from somewhere else than the line_item.quantity attribute.

1. When proceeding to checkout, are there any differences as to which fields of the line_item object are used to assemble the checkout order? More precisely, which attributes correspond to the quantity and line_item price shown in the checkout screen on both of these platforms.

2. Is there some detailed documentation on how the checkout page renders the item list? Does it use the line_item list of the cart object?

Replies 2 (2)

Liam
Shopify Staff
2873 312 818

HI CanamStoreDev1,

It's possible that these differences are occurring due to how the Debut theme is using the AJAX API. If you test this out on a recent version of Dawn are you seeing the same effect? 

Liam | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

CanamStoreDev1
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Liam,

I wouldn't be able to replicate the same customization for Dawn in a reasonable amount of time. I may not be able to answer your question, but I was thinking the same.

However, both mobile and desktop use the same AJAX API calls for adding to cart on my version, so I figured the issue could lie in how checkout reads the list of line_items on mobile. It also seems that checkout does not depend on the theme and is unrelated to theme files if not a Plus subscriber.

That's why I'd really like to know if there is a difference between mobile and desktop, as in what objects are actually used and displayed in there.