Uploading Images Error message: file name must be ID of image setting

saefthim
Tourist
5 0 2

Greetings,

Our store currently uses the website theme, Responsive. And we seem to be having trouble uploading images (which we haven't had before). Now when I try to upload images to the slideshow or banner, I get the following error message: "File name must be the ID of an image setting."

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Creede Olive Oil screenshot 04.13.2024.png

Replies 83 (83)

BaileyPaserk
Shopify Partner
115 9 27

**Updated Solution/Fix**
This error is happening on older shopify themes "responsive" and "minimal" and a few others. Unsure if there was an update or if everyone had the issue at once by coincidence. 

The solution to this may vary slightly depending on the content uploading. 

To updload an image, it must follow the a specific file name structure. before the next step, the name of the file must be saved as "slideshow_[number].jpg" so slideshow_1.jpg. Number is whichever position you place it. If you are placing a featured image it will be "feature[number].jpg" so feature1.jpg

Once your images are named properly, go into the theme code by clicking the three dots icon BaileyPaserk_1-1713153081537.png next to "customize" and then click "view code"

Go to the assets folder on the left. BaileyPaserk_2-1713153176313.png

If you already have a image with the same name you want to replace, rename it to something else  (slideshow_1_old) or delete it. Then click "add new asset" and upload your new image to this theme assets folder. Once you do this, your image should be working. 

For other parts of the site your image file may be "feature1.jpg" "feature2.jpg" instead of "slideshow_1.jpg"... logo may be "logo.jpg"

A tip here is to just search inside the theme code using the top left search bar and just search ".jpg" or ".png" to see what image files your theme is using. 

For a more advanced fix, for continuous updates, I recommend getting a developers help. With some coding work, there can be changes made. The theme settings need to be updated to the new json schema format, and the index.liquid file (and other files with html code) need to be updated from static links such as {{ slideshow_1.jpg | asset_url }} to {{ settings.slideshow_1 | img_url }}

Dawn is also a super flexible free theme to use if you want upgraded flexibility. 
https://themes.shopify.com/themes/dawn/styles/default
Easily customizable by a developer too if you want your own custom design. 

Bailey Paserk
ShopOwner2
Visitor
1 0 0

We are having the same issue. All of a sudden. Seems there was some kind of change that happened behind the scenes that is creating this error for everyone!

djsillykid
Tourist
3 0 1

Hey can you please help me with this? I've tried every single thing and it's still all errors. My theme is called "Supply" Thanks so much!

kaiyaa
Explorer
254 19 24

https://community.shopify.com/c/online-store-and-theme/uploading-images-error-message-file-name-must...

Please check this article it will help you.
If you require further help to optimize your store, please don’t hesitate to reach out. If you find this information useful, a Like would be greatly appreciated. And if this solves the problem, please Mark it as Solution!

Was I helpful? Buy me a coffee
For fast response Message me
Need Help Message me
lucylee
Visitor
2 0 0

hi ,

could you help us ? we met the same problem 

einav
Visitor
2 0 1

hi ! i have the same problem actually.. i got this message- do you know the reason ?

i haven't change anything and suddenly can't change the photo slider.. pls help to share your results

Einav

BaileyPaserk
Shopify Partner
115 9 27
einav
Visitor
2 0 1
Hi ! are you a developer ?
have you got this message in the past ?

einav
Alessandro_Rena
Shopify Partner
8 0 0

Hi there I've got the same problem, qould you mind helping me s well?

Thanks

kaiyaa
Explorer
254 19 24

ScottimusPrime
6 0 0

I tried editing the code in every which way thats been recommended throughout the replies here, to absolutel yno avail. What am I doing wrong? 

kaiyaa
Explorer
254 19 24

Hello @ScottimusPrime 

Can you please some details with me what are you doing

If you require further help to optimize your store, please don’t hesitate to reach out. If you find this information useful, a Like would be greatly appreciated. And if this solves the problem, please Mark it as Solution!

Need Help Message me
ScottimusPrime
6 0 0

I'm just trying to update an image in my store's slide show. Something I've been able to do with no issues at least once a week for years. I'm getting the "File name must be the ID of an image setting." error

kaiyaa
Explorer
254 19 24
ScottimusPrime
6 0 0

I have tried that. Nothing in the solution or the various responses have worked.

kaiyaa
Explorer
254 19 24

Can you able to share collaborator access 

Need Help Message me
ScottimusPrime
6 0 0

How can I do that?

kaiyaa
Explorer
254 19 24

Please share code. I will send request

Need Help Message me
ScottimusPrime
6 0 0

And where do I get this code?

kaiyaa
Explorer
254 19 24

Go to settings > user and permission > copy code

kaiyaa_0-1713292656495.png

also share your store url

Need Help Message me
BaileyPaserk
Shopify Partner
115 9 27

Hey Scott. Something funky went on with outdated Shopify themes which is why you are having this issue. I provided a general guide on how you can upload a photo while this issue persists. You can see that in my comment on this thread (direct link here) https://community.shopify.com/c/online-store-and-theme/uploading-images-error-message-file-name-must...

the other user provided a further technical coding solution that might require more work, but enables you to use the editor like you did before. 

Bailey Paserk
ScottimusPrime
6 0 0

That name trick isn't working unfortuneatly.

BaileyPaserk
Shopify Partner
115 9 27

Aw sorry about that. Worked for all the other ones 😕

the other partner looks like they’re available to help you out! That code you’re looking for is in the admin settings. Go to settings -> users & permissions. And you may see a “collaborator request code” 

and they can request access with that and if they have your url. 

if you want you can direct message them as well on here if they have it turned on. Good luck!

Bailey Paserk
NeverMade
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm having the same issue. tried EVERYTHING and still isnt working...

TNC3
4 0 0

ried all combinations, its not working. Can I give you access to my store to check please?

kaiyaa
Explorer
254 19 24

Hello @NeverMade Can you please share a scrrenshot what issue now you are facing

Need Help Message me
BaileyPaserk
Shopify Partner
115 9 27

If you want, send store url and collaborator code if applicable (in staff settings). You can do via dm if you want. 

Bailey Paserk
TNC3
4 0 0
lauraparistx
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi - I'm experiencing the same issue. How can I DM you?

TNC3
4 0 0

Hi, Tried all combinations given. Its not working. Can you help me. 

BaileyPaserk
Shopify Partner
115 9 27

Yea, send store url and collaborator code if applicable (in staff settings). You can do via dm if you want. 

Bailey Paserk
TNC3
4 0 0

sent you. did you receive it?

kaiyaa
Explorer
254 19 24

Hello @TNC3 

I can help you to fix this

Need Help Message me

kashaaf90
Visitor
1 0 0

The error message "File name must be the ID of an image setting" usually indicates that the theme requires images to have specific file names matching its settings. Check your theme documentation for required image naming conventions or ensure that your image files are named exactly as specified in the theme settings. My website had the same issue but it got resolved I checked the theme documentation for required image naming conventions.