3D secure for Shopify merchants in US

TMAce
1 0 0

I have spent a huge amount of time trying to setup 3D secure in Shopify.  I have also spent a ton of time trying to configure this with a 3rd party payment provider via Shopify. After all of this time I have gotten nowhere but wasted a lot of time.

First, I read the attached and it certain states  that Shopify supports 3DS Billing authentication with 3D Secure · Shopify Help Center

However, when I try test payments, there is no indicator at all that it passed 3DS authentication.  Therefore, it is somewhat worthless if there is a chargeback and we cannot prove that it used 3DS.  There is just a vague risk indicator that doesnt give any indication of the most important risk indicator (3ds).

I am concerned because the Shopify article states that "shopify only uses 3D Secure when required by the issuing bank in order for a transaction to be authorized successfully."  As a merchant this is not good because I want every transaction over a certain dollar amount to be authenticated with 3DS. Otherwise, I am not protected from chargebacks.

The same article it states "If you're using a third-party gateway and require 3D Secure, then you can use Cardinal as a 3D Secure provider."  I have found this to be incorrect information for US merchants.  So you may want to update your article.

Can someone from Shopify clearly state whether 3DS is supported natively in Shopify Pay for US merchants and if so how we know whether a particular order has authenticated with 3DS?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Trevor
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2933 381 590

@TMAce 

Thank you for taking the time to provide a great deal of context to your question/issue.

3D secure is enabled by default on Shopify Payments. The buyer will be asked to verify their purchase through a password/form of identification (this depends on the buyers' bank). The flow is not controlled by Shopify and will vary depending on the buyer's bank. It will be a form of SCA. So for example, the buyer may be asked to input their password, a one-time pin, or verify using a fingerprint scan. Shopify Payments supports 3DS 1.0 and 2.0. The version shown on checkout will depend on what the buyer's bank supports, however, Shopify Payments can facilitate both versions. If your customer has purchased using 3D secure, then you will see a card on the order page on the right side called 3D Secure Authentication. 

23-23-94287-69479

As for Cardinal, this is only applicable to store owners in the EU and the UK: 

Cardinal is a 3D Secure provider that integrates with many third-party payment gateways on Shopify in the European Economic Area (EEA) and United Kingdom.

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes