A customer exchanged an item and paid the difference, we lost the original money charged

KatieMustang
1 0 0

A customer exchanged an item and paid the difference. He left the store. I tried to do the exchange in the pos and I was only able to do a return. It refunded the $857.00 to the customer's credit card. I have no way to charge the card. I reached out to Shopify through email and I have never received a response. How do I recuperate the money? How do I do an exchange without doing a return and losing the money?

0 Likes
Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
4120 397 836

Hi @KatieMustang,

That does seem very annoying for sure. I looked into this and spoke to someone on our retail team. In terms of next steps, there is no way to reverse a refund/return. With that in mind, the best way to recupurate the money is to create a draft order for the amount returned in error then send the email invoice directly to the customer. If the customer comes back in person you could also do a custom sale within the POS app, but an email invoice could be the best option so you have a copy/ history of what's happened. 

You can see the guide for creating a draft order here. I hope this helps and puts you at ease for your situation. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes