Add extra charge with Paypal payments

egoludo
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi all!

I have PayPal enabled to pay. But paypal charges a usage fee. I want to offer the shopify payment system free of charge and paypal adding that commission to the client.

Example:
Order = € 55
If you pay by card = € 55
If you pay with paypal = € 55 + 2%

How can I do this?

Replies 3 (3)

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

Hey, @egoludo!

This is Moira from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for posting, and a very warm welcome to the Community!

Currently, it is not possible to have the checkout determine which payment option is being used and then adjust the checkout total based on that. I understand that using PayPal means you do incur a higher fee, the only workaround would be to have this payment method disabled altogether. You could also look into alternative providers that are available in your region then compare the fees. I have linked a comprehensive list of online international payment gateway providers that integrate with Shopify below:

There has been quite a bit of discussion on this topic in previous threads. One of our wonderful Shopify partners has suggested implementing the fee into product prices. You can check out his suggestion below:

Tip: A normal process in owning a business is your partners (including the services you incorporate into your business) managing their risk, however, new entrepreneurs have difficulty navigating their way around these situations. If you find yourself with PayPal holding your funds you have some steps they recommend to follow here. The better you manage your business, the less likely it is you'll encounter difficult situations with your payment gateways. Don't forget that you can eliminate your transaction fees with us by using Shopify Payments as a gateway.

If you have any questions please feel free to thread those below.

Cheers,

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Richard311
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Moira, 

Is there any update since this post? Is it on the roadmap to achieve this?

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

Hey @Richard311,

While the ability to adjust the checkout total is not available, I completely understand the need for this. If you have any more detail or info to share on why you want to see this change, please let us know. Having more information on how this affects your workflow and business is really helpful when the developers decide on what features to change. I'm glad to submit any feedback to our development team. It's not an immediate and guaranteed solution, however, we do consider your suggestions when we release updates to our platform. Updates will be published on our Shopify Changelog page:

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog