Solved

Adding a mandatory phone number on checkout

Perfumebaba
Visitor
1 0 2

I am operating my business in India and courier companies require the customer's phone number in order to confirm deliveries. Some courier companies also require an email address in addition to the phone number. Currently the checkout form only allows me to capture either the phone number or the email address. I went through the support pages but the mandatory phone number field seems to be removed. 
Could you please explain how I can make the phone number field mandatory and also provide and optional email field.

Accepted Solution (1)

Dani
Shopify Staff (Retired)
223 43 110

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Perfumebaba ,

Dani here from Shopify!

This is a great question and @Qualitycheck is correct. You can actually set both phone number and email to be mandatory in your checkout settings. To navigate here go to Settings > Checkout. On this page in the Customer Contact section, if you'd like email to be optional select the option to let customers checkout with phone number or email. If you'd prefer email be mandatory then select the option that customers can only checkout with email. In the next section, you'll want to ensure that shipping phone number is selected as required.

You can mix these two sections to your liking to make both email and phone number required, or just phone number required with email as optional.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you don't see these options in your checkout settings. I can take a closer look into your account if needed.

All the best,

Dani

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 24 (24)

Qualitycheck
Shopify Expert
1449 114 233

Hey @Perfumebaba,

Hope you are doing well!

I came across you post and there is a field with the name 'Shipping address phone number' that can be made required under Settings >> Checkout.

Please see attached screenshot for better understanding. Hope it helps! Please let me know of any further concerns.Required Checkout setting.png

Dani
Shopify Staff (Retired)
223 43 110

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Perfumebaba ,

Dani here from Shopify!

This is a great question and @Qualitycheck is correct. You can actually set both phone number and email to be mandatory in your checkout settings. To navigate here go to Settings > Checkout. On this page in the Customer Contact section, if you'd like email to be optional select the option to let customers checkout with phone number or email. If you'd prefer email be mandatory then select the option that customers can only checkout with email. In the next section, you'll want to ensure that shipping phone number is selected as required.

You can mix these two sections to your liking to make both email and phone number required, or just phone number required with email as optional.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you don't see these options in your checkout settings. I can take a closer look into your account if needed.

All the best,

Dani

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Bevulus
Tourist
4 0 16

Hi Team, 

Thanks for the solution, I have implemented it on our store and it works. Both email and phone number are mandatory.

Now I have another issue. When the customer adds their email address in the top (email or phone number) input box and their phone number in the bottom (phone number) input box with their billing address details, the email is stored against the customer record and phone number stored against the address record.

This is an issue with customer alerts when purchasing a gift card. They get the email alert of the purchase, but as there is no phone number against their customer record (only linked to their address record) they do not get an SMS/text alert of their order and link to their gift card. 

How can I keep the existing config for mandatory email and phone number, but ensure the address phone number is stored against the customer record (I am happy for it to stay with the address record and be attached to both customer and address or change so it is only against the customer record).

Thank you in advance. 

Mike

Physiocoder
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi @Bevulus have you found a solution? we are exactly in the same boat and can't send sms notifications to customers because the phone number is not in their account data. @Dani is there a way to store collected phone number in the account details instead of shipping details? Thanks a lot.

Bevulus
Tourist
4 0 16
Hi @Physiocoder - no sorry nothing, we have had some real dramas with email
and phone in the Basic version when customers place an order.

We eventually went with forcing email in the top input box, but again face
the issue where the phone is attached to the address and our driver does
not easily get access. The only process we have at the moment is a manual
process prior to departure.
Jodie
Visitor
2 0 0

I also want to send SMS to my customers but don't have many phone numbers, only email. Has anyone found a better workaround to add phone number to account details? thanks!

Ober
Excursionist
26 1 10

@Physiocoder "the phone number is not in their account data"
@Jodie "workaround to add phone number to account details?"

We also would like to save a phone number to the client account (not mandatory for the client). Pre-Shopify in an order form we asked about a cell phone number and if the client wants to be contacted also with WhatsApp. That was very useful for messaging etc. 
Is this really not possible to achieve with core Shopify (no Apps)? 

laurenabbey
Visitor
1 0 2

Dani

I want to be able to make phone number and email mandatory during check out. I saw and implemented the requisite settings for when someone clicks on "ship" but what about pick up from a location? 

tdot17
Visitor
1 0 0

Yes I am looking for a solution to this too. I want to make it required for a customers to enter a phone number even when they pick up from location so that we can SMS them when their order is ready for pick up.

freecultr
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi - In India, mobile number is of 10 digits but Shopify take 4 digits also. 

Is there a mechanism where we can make it mandate as 10 digit ?

Cheers,

Harshit Vij

wisdomgrey
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello 
There is no check, if phone number is of 10 digit or not?
Many times Customer type address in phone number section , or not add complete phone number missing some digit
There is no error bar warning them that they have incomplete information. 

How to add warning that instead phone digit they are typing their address in them.

quericaph
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello

I am facing the same issues. In the Philippines, phone number is 11 digits. But some customers make a mistake in typing their phone numbers and we cannot get in touch prior to delivery. Is there a solution to make a mandatory number of digits in the phone number space?

Ayur
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi, have you found any solution to this?

Kgindia
Visitor
2 0 0

Is it possible to add Alternate Phone number Option to Shopify Checkout? If yes, how to get it activated

Proverbs226
Visitor
1 0 5

Hello, most of my orders aren't shipped items. They are picked up. Therefore, they do not complete the shipping info section.  I am unable to make the phone number mandatory and many submit orders with no phone numbers because of this. I really need phone numbers from all customers, because I often have to reach out to them via text with pick-up questions. Please advise. Thank you. 

MoMere
Visitor
2 0 0

We need the billing address phone number as mandatory especially if someone is shipping to a different address as a gift and we have a question.

mokhtarben
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, is there anyway i can get rid of email on checkout page and offer my clients to checkout using only phone number because i'm working COD and i only need their phone numbers and i don't want them to get confused with email 

Thanks in advance

breeofficial
Visitor
1 0 1

i dont have the phone number section in my shopify

breeofficial_0-1633436766032.png

ming44025
Visitor
1 0 0

Me too

DancingOaksNurs
Tourist
7 0 5

I need help getting both fields to be required. I have tried to do as described, but it still shows me an either/Or option for email or phone number as the required field.

We need BOTH email and phone to be a required field. So many times customers enter an erroneous or incomplete phone number but are able to complete the order. THEN when we go to print the shipping label, UPS rejects it as incomplete! It should be such a simple fix for a program like Shopify, why am I blind to it?

signworks11
Visitor
1 0 0

I have tried this but, when i click on required it stays as optional on my website.

Qualitycheck
Shopify Expert
1449 114 233

Hi @Perfumebaba,

If you find the comment useful then please like and accept the solution. 

Thanks!

kushwaha-rajesh
Visitor
2 0 0

I am also looking for a solution to these problems. Please help us to out of this problem.

MRehan
Visitor
1 0 0

We need Phone number to be required in pickup method. That we are unable to do.