Adding an extra fee to only specific products based on delivery address

jehuty15
Shopify Partner
4 1 2

Hi there,

I have a store that sells can drinks and merch.

Recently, a new law was put in place, and we now need to charge a $0.05 fee for each can sold for CalRecycle. This applies to all cans sold and shipped to customers in California only.

We would like customers to see the total fee at checkout.

Ideally, I like to assign this fee per product/variant level (i.e. a 6-pack variant would be $0.30 and a 2-pack is $0.10). 

Any ideas how I would set this up? Much appreciated for any help.

Replies 3 (3)

sniper2804
Shopify Partner
363 24 61

I don't think so this is possible in Shopify natively. Maybe some app exists. Why don't you include the fee in the product price itself?

Automate & bulk assign products to shipping profile: Auto Shipping Profiles: Shipr
Calculate accurate shipping rates: Shipping Calculator: ShipMagic
Hide, rename, reorder payment methods at checkout: Payment Customization: PayMix

HAPO-Gasper
Pathfinder
114 10 21

Hello @jehuty15 

It's been a while that I try to set it up, but you can try this guideline by my experiences.

To set up the $0.05 fee per can for products sold and shipped to customers in California, and to display the total fee at checkout, you can follow these steps in Shopify:

Create a Shipping Profile for California:

- Go to your Shopify admin and navigate to "Settings" > "Shipping and delivery."

- Click on "Manage rates" next to the shipping zone that includes California.

- Create a new shipping profile specifically for California if you haven't already done so.

Set Up a Shipping Rate Adjustment:

- Within the shipping profile for California, add a new shipping rate adjustment.

- Name it something like "California Recycling Fee" or "CalRecycle Fee."

- Set the rate to $0.05 per can.

Assign the Fee to Products/Variants:

- Go to the product or variant page for each can product.

- Scroll down to the "Shipping" section.

- Under the shipping profile for California, check the box to "Override shipping cost."

- Enter the additional $0.05 fee for each can variant.

Test Checkout to Ensure Fee is Displayed:

- Place a test order with a California shipping address to confirm that the $0.05 fee is displayed at checkout.

Communicate the Fee to Customers:

- Consider adding information about the CalRecycle fee on product pages or in your store's policies to inform customers about the charge.

By setting up shipping rate adjustments and assigning the fee to specific products or variants, you can ensure that the $0.05 fee is applied correctly for cans sold and shipped to customers in California. Make sure to test the checkout process thoroughly to verify that the fee is displayed as intended.

If you found my answer helpful, please let me know by giving me a thumbs-up or marking it as a solution.

Maximize your store's potential with HAPO APPS – Manage data, boost sales, and enhance store visualization.

Best of all, all these features are available with our completely free plan. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or need assistance!
Best of all, all these features are available with our completely free plan. Don't hesitate to

https://www.linkedin.com/company/hapo-apps/

if you have any questions or need assistance!
jehuty15
Shopify Partner
4 1 2

Wow this looks incredible. I'll give it a try and let you know how I go. Thanks so much!