Why isn't Apple Pay available at checkout on my Shopify store?

prettymagnifiqu
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi,

My website is nearly ready to launch but when testing I have found a problem with Apple Pay. It is available in my shop to pay for items if you buy it straight from an item's page. But if you want to use a discount code and go through to the cart and then checkout, there isn't an option to pay by Apple Pay at the end, only card or Paypal. I have followed instructions on the Shopify Help pages, but it doesn't resolve the problem. I have found similar threads on here with the same problem, but it doesn't seem to have been resolved, and they are all dated in the last couple of years. So I would like some up to date advice on this issue, and if anyone has managed to get round it and have Apple Pay as an option on the checkout page?

Thank you

Replies 6 (6)

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hi, @prettymagnifiqu!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

The checkout flow is slightly different when it comes to using discount codes with Apple Pay. In our Apple Pay help documentation, you'll notice a Troubleshooting section with some information on discounts. There, it states: 

Your customers can use discount codes with Apple Pay only if they enter a discount code on the checkout page before clicking the Apple Pay button. If you show the Apple Pay button on the cart page, then your customers can't go to the checkout page to enter a discount code. To make sure your customers can use discount codes with Apple Pay, you need to show the Apple Pay button on the checkout page.

You mentioned that you've been following some instructions in the Shopify Help Center; have you tried following the instructions on how to show the Apple Pay button on the checkout page?

By the way, since you're getting ready to launch your store, I also wanted to pass along our store launch checklist. There, you'll find a list of every step you'll need to complete before you can start selling. This is a great way to ensure that your store is ready for launch. 

I hope this clears things up! Do you have any big marketing activities planned for your launch?

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

pezamini
Tourist
3 0 4

On a related issue,
I also launched my store and just realized that there is a functional issue in how Apple Pay (and Google Pay) work at the check out!
Issue synopsis:
- customer add items to the cart and finally is ready to check out. Click on the cart button and follow through (so far so good)
- Apple Pay button is shown on the very first Check Out page. If customers push that button, s/he will pay the full amount for the cart and the purchase is final. However, my store offers Discount code and also Shipping discount under certain conditions.
It has caused issues with our grand opening promotion, so I had to disable the Apple Pay and Google Pay.

I suggest, that these two very useful payment methods be shown only at the very end of the purchase process. i.e. where the customer is ready to pay either with credit cards or Apple Pay or Google Pay

I am not sure whether this is a problem that Shopify has to solve or my the creator of my Theme!

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @pezamini

This is Rae from Shopify. I'm helping out my colleague Julie with this thread today, and I wanted to lend a hand with your question. 

As Julie mentioned in her previous reply, customers can use discount codes with Apple Pay only if they enter the discount code on the checkout page before they select the Apple Pay button. This help document shares more detail on this under the section titled 'Customer can't enter a discount code', so I recommend taking a look over this to learn more about the troubleshooting methods suggested. 

In the meantime though, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on having the payment methods shown only at the end of the checkout process. I'm going to pass this suggestion along to our Product team for further review on our end. If we make any changes to how this works, we'll share more details on our Updates blog, as well as our changelog

Let me know if you have any further questions about this and I'll be happy to continue helping out! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

pezamini
Tourist
3 0 4

Hi Rae,

Whoever with Apple Pay will automatically push the button regardless, but they do not realize that they won't be able to apply the discount code later. 

In addition to this issue, we also offer free delivery tp purchases over $55, but it seems that the APPLE PAY also ignore this shipping cost calculation.

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @pezamini

Thanks for following up with these additional details. 

I understand your frustration with the discount functionality on Apple Pay, and I've shared your feedback on this with our teams directly. We'll continue to review this further on our end. 

In terms of your point about the shipping rates though, can you please tell me a bit more about the shipping options you offer? In most cases, Apple Pay will automatically default to select the shipping method with the lowest cost. However, if your free shipping rate isn't being selected, can you please confirm which rate is? I'm happy to help look into this further once I have these details! 

Talk soon, 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Thanks for reaching out to our community, @prettymagnifiqu.

There are some limitations with Apple Pay that you are experiencing on your site. As you can read through on our Apple Pay documentation, a discount code must be entered before a customer chooses Apple Pay on the checkout page. 

If you include an Apple Pay option on the cart page, this will bypass the checkout page and not allow for a discount code entry. 

I encourage you to review the linked documentation to offer Apple Pay on the checkout page for a better experience for your customers.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog