Can Shopify allow assigning specific packages to products?

veryventura
Visitor
1 0 63

Let me throw my hat in the ring to urge Shopify to add the ability to assign specific packages to specific products. PLEASE, the extra shipping charges we're incurring due to miscalculated shipping charges are eating at our profit.

Thank you!

Replies 126 (126)

PluginHive
Shopify Partner
797 31 100

Hi @veryventura,

I'm not sure when this feature would be available in Shopify shipping. But, if you are open to using an app for this, the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app would solve your problems. With the box packing method in the app, you can set up different packages for your products based on the weight & dimensions.

So, whenever your customer places an order, the app automatically chooses the right box and calculates the accurate carrier calculated rates accordingly relieving you from being overcharged.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
SessionComponen
Visitor
2 0 2

The app doesn't work for shopify rates, only works if you have a carrier account.

CarA2021
Tourist
12 0 3

Would this app work if I am a drop shipper?  I currently have no need for shipping labels, but I  need to have each product have their own package dimensions.

shopefyrecords
Tourist
3 0 0
in a word, no
CarA2021
Tourist
12 0 3

Thanks for the quick response.  Do you know of one that you can have individual product dimensions and be a dropshipper?  Maybe Shopify was the wrong choice for me.

Finley
Shopify Staff (Retired)
201 26 45

Hey @veryventura

This is Finley from the Social Care team at Shopify. I understand that it would be ideal to assign specific packages to specific products. What I can do is add your name to the list for this feature request. Our development team will use these requests to see which features are most required to be built into the platform. I've sent you an email to your Shopify Community email address. You can respond to that email and I can add your name to the request.

In the meantime, if you're offering Shopify Shipping's calculated rates at the checkout, the amount that your customers pay for shipping will be determined by the weight of your product(s), the dimensional weight of your default package, and the shipping carrier selected.

You can update the dimensional weight under your Shopify Admin > Settings > Shipping and delivery > Packages > Saved packages and then click Edit beside the package with the Default label.

However, if you've already adjusted the default package to the best size and weight you can, there are a couple of other options you can look into:

1) You can add a handling fee to mark up the calculated shipping rate to help cover additional costs. You can mark the shipping rate up by a percentage of the total shipping rate, or with an additional fee. Your customer would see this as one unified shipping rate when they reach the shipping page of the checkout.

You can edit this handling fee by going to your Shopify Admin > Settings > Shipping and delivery. From there, click Manage rates next to the shipping profile you'd like to edit. Click the "..." next to the rate you'd like to adjust and then click Edit rate.

You'll see the Handling fee section where you can adjust it like so:

20-11-4ytz6-befwv.

Make sure to save your changes, and you'll be good to go.

2) Apps from the Shopify App Store allow you to have more flexibility outside of the one default package. A couple of apps on the Shopify app store that you can have a look at, alongside the app mentioned in the post above are:

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions for me, please do let me know.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Danekrazedecor
Visitor
1 0 36

I have to add to this thread. As someone who has tons of sales outside of a website, I was hoping that creating this shop would make it so much easier for me to manage and of course attract more business. 

the experience with Shopify, has been frankly, horrific. Every single thing that I need to have a decently functional site, is an add-on and additional cost. 

I have two major pain points. 

1.  Small business’ CANNOT lose money on shipping. The fact that I can create packages, and add weights to a product but not COMBINE the two, in order to get accurate shipping Quotes is absurd. So, we’ll lose money or we’ll lose clients because the shipping costs are too high. I will not pay another $5-10 for an app in order to have a basic function of saving the dimensions of the product so it can be automatically calculated for ACCURATE costs. 

2. variants / choices - I have now PAID other apps to help make this more feasible but it’s still a lost cause. 

tried finding a number to speak to someone with Shopify to talk through everything, and that’s impossible. So I’m about to cancel the Shopify before I even get it all going because I’ve spent too much time trying to take care of it basic web functions and losing tike to create the 100s of products I already have orders for. 

Finley
Shopify Staff (Retired)
201 26 45

Hey @Danekrazedecor!

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that this has been a point of frustration for you. I can understand the need to have certain features without using an app. Assigning a specific box size to a product must currently be done with a third-party app. Though I can't guarantee that this feature will be available right away, I have submitted your feedback. It's important to hear these requests so they can be considered for future feature updates.

We'd be happy to talk through the points you've mentioned. You can reach our team through the Contact Support section of Help Center. You can log into your Shopify account, search for a topic, and then scroll past the suggested guides, where you'll see the option to contact our support team. Here's a video to show you these steps: (https://bit.ly/3ku1LTT).

Alternatively, I am happy to address your point about variants/ choices here if you'd like. What exactly is the issue you're having? Thanks!

CraterGoods
Tourist
4 0 42

From what I can tell, people have been asking for these features for about two years. I am wondering why it is taking someone like Shopify to add the basic functionality to there feature set. I would think that in order to keep customers here, they would listen and make the needed changes in order to keep clients. 

betweenthepipes
Tourist
3 0 11

And still waiting in 2022. If there is no option other than 3rd party apps this year I won't be renewing my site. Small buisnesses cannot be loosing money and costomers over shipping costs. The whole reason to have an online store is to be able to ship goods...epic fail with this platform.

Zerostreet
Tourist
6 0 16

Does anyone know of another ecommerce option? Been looking at Squarespace but they have limitations on these issues as well...been with Shopify for many years but I think I'm ready to move on.

The Art Of Robert Jimenez
www.zerostreet.com
Instagram: @zerostreet
Twitter: @zerostreet
tmay
Tourist
9 0 7
We use Boxify Plugin - you can assign a package based on size and weight - tied that to ShipStation - so far have not had any issues,
Todd

CraterGoods
Tourist
4 0 42
So, you use Shopify then had to utilize a plugin (more money) the tie it to ship station (more money) in order to get it to function the way a standard e-commerce platform should operate.

I think you have just prove. The entire point of the thread.
LindseyTKCF
Visitor
2 0 3

Please add me to the list of customers that would like to see this feature. 

MMK110464
Tourist
3 1 5

+1 on the package assignment issue.

Veco
Visitor
1 0 3

+1

This feature should be by default. 

tony5280
Shopify Partner
85 6 51

Congratulations, you've been added to the list of customers who will never see this feature!

shopefyrecords
Tourist
3 0 0
that's funny, no matter who you are.
FauxrlbyYasmin
Excursionist
11 0 15

Exactly, CraterGoods!  We should not have to pay extra money every month for a simple feature that should have been implemented in the platform from the start.

Brighten your day...for a lifetime!
tony5280
Shopify Partner
85 6 51
Apparently Shopify disagrees with that sentiment.
CraterGoods
Tourist
4 0 42
Apparently
FauxrlbyYasmin
Excursionist
11 0 15

Tmay, that is not a feasible option for many of us who are either just starting out or who are up to our necks paying extra for yet another thing.  It's crazy that Shopify has not implemented this basic feature to their platform.

caron23
Tourist
4 0 2

Can you set a box for every product you sell with Boxifiy?

I'm having the same problem as everyone here. What solution have you guys used?

I'm willing to pay for an app if it works good since Shopify won't let me assign a package to a product.

FauxrlbyYasmin
Excursionist
11 0 15

I started on Squarespace and they have major flaws on these issues as well.  I transferred my domain to create my Shopify website.  I don't want to have to transfer it again to another platform; such a hassle.  Hoping that Shopify rectifies this issue ASAP.  

JustPeachy
Visitor
2 0 20

Please add me to the list of customers that would like to see this feature. Attempting to get the most precise shipping costs for customers is important to business owners, and its crazy that this isn't a feature already in Shopify.

VMus
Tourist
5 0 0

Ditto.

bronzydesigns
Visitor
1 0 3

Please add me as another interested shop owner needing this option. 

FauxrlbyYasmin
Excursionist
11 0 15

The support team should be addressing our thread.  We shouldn't have to keep trying to reach you.  You can all see in plain view what the problem is.  It's not an individual problem.

cstrahan
Tourist
4 0 8

Can anyone confirm that the next monthly fee package through Shopify addresses this issue? 

I have only the basic/starter plan and I had thought i heard the next monthly plan had this addressed.

Still frustrated........

tony5280
Shopify Partner
85 6 51

Cstrahan, I doubt it will ever be addressed. They will tell you whatever it takes to get you to sign on, because they know it's a pain in the butt to leave.

tony5280
Shopify Partner
85 6 51

> support team

lmao 

thefourthplace
Explorer
52 0 46

This is unacceptable.

How can it be that in 2024, Shopify claims to offer calculated shipping, but doesn't do anything to allow us to customize the packaging for different types of products?

@Shopify @Finley 

Ian Struckhoff
The Fourth Place
https://thefourthplaceforgeeks.com
LamourArt
Visitor
1 0 4

I agree. I have a variety of different products that require different packaging from enveloppes to large boxes and I simply can't have one default package for all my items. It does not make sense. 

Zerostreet
Tourist
6 0 16

It's also odd that it lets you create all these different packages, which I did...to then find out you can only assign one!!

The Art Of Robert Jimenez
www.zerostreet.com
Instagram: @zerostreet
Twitter: @zerostreet
ShapeShifter
Tourist
3 0 3

We are thinking of changing stores too. Have you found anything that works better for small business?

SouthbayJay
Excursionist
13 0 6

I'm seriously considering moving my shop to a new platform because now with this price increase, it's just making it ridiculous, especially with the lack of service. 

pdqtimetrialer
Visitor
1 0 4

Shopify, please fix this issue!   I have products of different sizes and cannot combine them into one box.   They must ship as separate boxes.   Such a basic request, and yet it is ignored for YEARS!

ReneeM
Visitor
2 0 6

Here we are 2 years later and no changes?  What is it going to take Shopify, people leaving?

I agree with this 100%.  I have a love hate relationship with Shopify.  I left my old platform and I am finding that everything I had with my old platform that I was told I would have here consists of me paying for stinking app (product options, reviews and now this).  I regret leaving my old platform.  Never had to worry about this and it is a simple feature that can be added.  

The fact that I can not assign weight and box sizes to my various size products is nuts to me and to add a surcharge is stupid.  All I want is for my customers to get charged an accurate price to ship based on the box size and weight of their order and I don't want to be worrying about eating the cost either.

Shopify...you need to do better.  

Renee Messmann
ayellowgiraffe
Excursionist
32 0 59

Please add me to this request list! I'm sure the list of people wanting this option to be standard in Shopify is VERY LONG. Having one default package doesn't make any sense! You'd either be losing money on shipping or charging too much which would scare customers away! AND I'd like to be able to add USPS Media Mail option for orders containing books only but if you try to create a shipping profile for it, orders containing books and other products end up being double charged for shipping. I'm not very happy about having to pay for another app $10/month just to have this option, especially for a business just starting out. Let us choose which packaging would apply to products and customize which shipping options would apply to certain products. PLEASE MAKE THIS A STANDARD OPTION SHOPIFY!!! 🙏 🙏 

Finley
Shopify Staff (Retired)
201 26 45

Thank you, everyone. I understand that this feature is needed, and I appreciate your feedback. I have shared your requests with our development team. At this time, please refer to the workarounds I've shared in my initial post, which include adding a handling fee or using a third-party app.

Please note that I will only be responding to this thread again if there is a feature update involving our default package size. Thank you!

AuralFetish
Excursionist
33 0 25

9 months later. Is this an option yet? 

(I'll assume the answer is no.)

WHY?!?
Because of a few things:
1. Shopify doesn't care about it's customers because they don't have to. They know the bulk of their customers have already committed significant resources to the platform and it's usually cost-prohibitive to switch. (This is known as the "Marlboro Model")
2. Shopify makes a ton of money skimming off the top of the third-party marketplace. The idea there is to make money with zero effort. Once they realized they could charge third-party developers for features that should be standard by standing up an "app marketplace," there's no going back. It is no longer cost-effective for them to build features. Building features costs Shopify money. The strategy is build a gaping hole, and wait for a third-party to come along and fill it, so Shopify can get a piece of the action. I know the phrase "it's a racket" has been used so much it's lost meaning, but Shopify is a racket. Shopify isn't a solution, it's a scheme. 

Bottom line is that they will not provide features unless Shopify sees the financial upside. Right now, they see all the revenue they're skimming from the third party marketplace, and all of the "unhappy" customers that ~continue to use the platform~, and they've realized that there is no need to serve us. As long as the sales pitch connects with the higher-ups, features won't matter, until _every_ store on shopify goes on strike to demand a change to the business model.

Since that won't happen, what we, as a community of developers MUST do to affect change is to constantly and consistently shout from the highest tower, that "Shopify is a money pit," and STOP accepting Shopify projects just because "it was decided." We need to march over to that decider and let them know EXACTLY what they are about to step in.  Tell that decider to think of an "edge case" – something that Shopify can't natively do, and how they would be hard-pressed to find a single workaround that doesn't involve "download the app." That decider will likely give you a blank stare and mutter something to the effect of, "I'm not a technologist, so I don't know what it can and can't do – that's what I have you for." Then you can say, "Exactly. And I'm telling you this is a decision that we will all regret."

Kitedwards30
Visitor
2 0 6

Add me to the list.  I just set everything up, got in inventory, ordered all my packaging and went in to put in my packaging dims and discovered this.  You cannot allow us to to either lose money on shipping, over charge our customer and probably lose them or use an app that cost as much as paying for shopify.  These are our options?  Please tell me this is not just being looked at but actually being fixed. 

keebd
Visitor
1 0 6

+1 for this basic feature. $9USD/Month for each tiny feature is a bad idea. The algorithm already takes the default package dimensions into account so why not just let us pick a different one per product and those dimensions get used instead at checkout.

FauxrlbyYasmin
Excursionist
11 0 15

You posted that over a year ago and still no solution!  Shopify - please answer us.  There are so many of us that just want to ship our items as accurately as possible without having to pay for a 3rd party App to do so!  Shopify should have this feature as part of the platform by now.

shopefyrecords
Tourist
3 0 0

This pretty much covers it. The other thing that would most likely make it happen faster would be someone like Square adding it as standard to their features. That's the most likely thing to get this to move. 

EEssentials
Visitor
1 0 0

Have they assigned this feature yet ? I see this was started in 2020 , its 2023 , and I am still trying to figure this out 

Tay-Pri
Tourist
3 0 9

Where can we ALL officially add our names to the "list" of customers who have requested this (BASIC) feature? 

CobaltHouse1
Tourist
5 0 3

So...it's now Oct of 2023. What is the status of this request? Please explain this to people who cannot believe this is still a problem. Did Shopify think their clients were all single product shippers?!! 

HPSealBeach
Visitor
2 0 10

Please add us to this list of requesting customers as well, if that helps anything.

We NEED this simple function. I cannot charge every customer $25 for shipping, and can't afford to cover that cost when my customers are paying $5-$10 for the default package that is mainly used 😞