Calculated Shipping Rates Based on Dimensions

suellen
Shopify Partner
10 0 4

I have a client selling art from the US and shipping internationally and they need to show shipping rates based on dimension (not just weight).  They also want to take advantage of discounted carrier rates, rather than just using their own carrier account with standard rates.

They wanted to use Shopify Shipping but that won't work because Shopify Shipping doesn't show dimensional shipping rates to customers at checkout - therefore shipping costs would be much higher than what the customer pays.  Does anyone have a workaround for this?

We then looked at Shippo because they offer highly discounted carrier rates on major carriers - however, the app doesn't have the ability to show shipping rates at checkout.  They suggest using the USPS Rates Calculator and then setting Flat Rates based on that but that's not showing true shipping costs and it's a big task with over 5000 products!

The only other app to offer discounted carrier rates is Easyship and they do show shipping rates at checkout.  There's a lot of work to set up all of the dimensions for over 5000 products but it seems this is the only way.

Other apps like Multi Carrier Shipping Label could work but they don't offer discounted carrier rates - you need to use your own carrier account and rates are not as discounted as Shopify, Shippo or Easyship.

It just feels crazy hard setting up something that surely thousands of merchants need.

If anyone can help me out with this I'd be super grateful.

Replies 6 (6)

Linshep
Visitor
1 0 0

Did you get a solution for this? I am struggling with it too. We ship tables and offer many different sizes, trying to figure out a way to calculate shipping based on the size of table the client chooses, and quantity!

SunitaSG
Shopify Partner
13 1 0

@Linshep You can use Multi Carrier Shipping Label app. This app allows you to calculate the shipping rates based on the dimensions of the products and quantity also. You can create different custom boxes based on the product dimensions.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
suellen
Shopify Partner
10 0 4

@Linshep we use Boxify coupled with Shopify box sizes, which now allows multiple boxes to be added. 

Dklisa
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Suellen,

Do you still use Boxify? I have been paying for my shopify store/account for over a year but still don’t have it live due to the frustrating lack of them not offering calculated shipping for different box sizes.

suellen
Shopify Partner
10 0 4

Yes my client is still using them.  They do offer calculated shipping for different box sizes - that's the purpose of Boxify.  They've always provided us with excellent support.  Sorry you're having troubles with it

Smokelab
Excursionist
14 0 5

Hello. Do you know if there is any app available for use in Norway? I see the listed shipping carriers are US based. We are using the main shipping carrier in Norway, Bring, but we can't add dimension based shipping rates. We offer vapes but also hookahs, so 1 order can contain 14 vapes which we can send and fit inside a mailbox, and another order could contain only 1 hookah which must be sent to a pickup point, and these 2 methods require 2 different shipping prices and services.