Can I Hide the Manual Payments Option When a Customer Selects Shipping?

TerribleToby
Visitor
3 0 2

I've added manual payments as an option to my checkout so that customers who are doing local pickup have the option to pay cash or E-transfer instead of paying online.  However, I only want to provide this option to someone who has selected "Local Pickup" as their delivery method.  I don't want to offer manual payments to someone who is ordering a delivered item. Is there a way to hide the manual payments option from customers who are ordering a product with shipping?

I'm open to installing an app to do this, but would prefer not spending money to solve this.  I would have thought this would be a basic option within Shopify itself.

Looking forward to hearing some input/solutions.

Thanks!

Owen.

Replies 7 (7)

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2217 247 506

Hey, @TerribleToby 

At this time, we do not have the built-in functionality to show/hide payment methods depending on if the customer selects pickup or shipping at checkout. I understand how that would be a great feature for merchants like yourself to have in order to gain that level of flexibility with your payment needs. I'd be happy to pass this along as feedback up to our developers for potential future implementation.

In the meantime, I have a workaround you can use that should prevent the issue in most cases, which would be someone selecting shipping and then the manual payment method. When you set up a manual payment method, you have the option to create a custom one and give it a name. In the name, you can provide details on who should be selecting the payment method. This will help deter people from making a mistake.

For example, you can give your custom method a name such as "PAY AT PICKUP - FOR LOCAL PICKUP ORDERS ONLY". That way, the customer will see that in big, bold letters so that they can select the appropriate method. From there, you can add further information about the methods of payment you accept at pickup. I've shared a screenshot of the setup in my test store:

22-42-70998-8834

I hope this helps! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

TerribleToby
Visitor
3 0 2

Thank you!  I have set something similar to this up, but was hoping there would be a native way to just hide the option.

If you could pass this along to your development team it would be greatly appreciated! I definitely think that will be helpful for a lot of stores.

All the best,

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2217 247 506

Happy to help, @TerribleToby!

I get where you are coming from. I've gone ahead and passed this feedback up to our development team. 

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

rjmclean
Tourist
7 0 3

Hi Dirk, thanks for the workaround however customers can still select the cash payment option when selecting the delivery option which poses a real risk that they won't pay etc. Is there any progress on adding this as a feature please? Would be incredible beneficial

Vineggiamo
Visitor
1 0 0

We would like that feature too, is there any news?

Sam9516
Shopify Partner
37 1 13

Now you can easily do this using the BeSure Checkout Rules app. Here are the steps after installing the app,

1. Create a rule for "Hide payment methods". Select the trigger of "Selected Shipping Method", so this rule will only trigger when a particular shipping method is selected.

2. Then enter the names of the payment methods you want to hide. It should look something like this,

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 6.39.55 PM.png

Then click on Create rule and done.

Works even for Basic Shopify plan and does not impact store speed. Cheers.

ArrayArtisan
Tourist
50 0 2

Hello Owen, to ensure that the manual payment option is only available for customers choosing "Local Pickup" and not for those opting for delivery, you can use the KlinKode PayRules app. This app allows you to set up rules that hide payment methods based on the chosen shipping option. By using this app, you can configure your store so that manual payments like cash or E-transfer are only visible to customers who select "Local Pickup" during checkout.

Check out the app here for this specific functionality: https://apps.shopify.com/klinkode-payrules

You should find this app very easy to use. Check the demo:

- Control payment methods visibility at checkout by KlinKode PayRules app.
- You can join in our Facebook group for Shopify help.