Solved

Why can't I cancel my Shopify subscription without being charged?

reececoetzer
Visitor
2 0 1

Hello,

I signed up for the free trial and put in my credit card and chose a plan just to have a look at how shopify works. I used it once during the free trial but ultimately decided not to use shopify because I don't have the time or the money to really run it.

However when I try to cancel my subscription I chose for the free trial it tries to charge the amount to my card without canceling. Please help I really don't have the funds to pay it and I'm worried when I get money it's going to come off my card and I won't be able to pay for rent or anything. I really don't want to pay such an amount for a service I just signed up for out of curiosity.

Please help I'm really stuck I can't afford this this.

Kind regards,

Reece

Accepted Solution (1)

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @reececoetzer,

I understand your sense of urgency! Rest assured that we do not want anyone to pay for a store that they did not intend on opening.

It sounds like you added your credit card details and picked a plan while you were on your free trial, which is why your store has immediately rolled onto the plan once your trial finished and has issued an invoice.

The automated system will not let a store be canceled before paying the outstanding invoice, so you will need to pay it first and then contact our support to request a refund.

I hope this helps!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @reececoetzer,

I understand your sense of urgency! Rest assured that we do not want anyone to pay for a store that they did not intend on opening.

It sounds like you added your credit card details and picked a plan while you were on your free trial, which is why your store has immediately rolled onto the plan once your trial finished and has issued an invoice.

The automated system will not let a store be canceled before paying the outstanding invoice, so you will need to pay it first and then contact our support to request a refund.

I hope this helps!

reececoetzer
Visitor
2 0 1

Thank you for the swift response Andrew. I really appreciate it.

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

You're most welcome! Once you've paid the invoice, be sure to close your store and then reach out to support for that refund.

Sorry to see you go! We're here if you need any other help!