Solved

Change an order from local pickup to shipping or Vice versa

lazylivin
Tourist
10 0 18

I’m looking for a feature to change an order from local pickup to shipping. Customers pick the wrong option often so I need ability to change it so I can print a shipping label.  The only thing I’ve been able to figure out is creating a completely new order for the customer with the correct option selected. This takes time and also messes up reporting as well as confuses customer with multiple orders. Can a feature be added to Shopify so I can change an order to shipping or from shipping to local pick up.

I am on Shopify Basic Plan

Accepted Solution (1)

idiosyncretic
Visitor
2 1 8

This is an accepted solution.

I figured out how to do this!!

• Go to the order, and you'll notice there's no shipping address
  • Add a shipping address to the customer/order
  • Go back to the Orders page that lists all your orders
  • Check the checkbox next to the order
  • From the pop-up menu select Create Shipping Labels
  • You're good! It'll email the customer a shipping confirmation and mark the order as fulfilled

View solution in original post

Replies 32 (32)

mmonik
Visitor
1 0 1

I have the same issue.  Were you able to get this resolved?

lazylivin
Tourist
10 0 18

No they have not addressed this 

Sandy_Zapiet
Tourist
28 0 1

Hello @lazylivin and @mmonik  ,

Sandy here, from Store Pickup + Delivery.

If ever you were to use our app, please note that this information can be edited, through the "More actions" drop down menu of your order ( in Shopify ).

Sandy_Zapiet_0-1634828590222.png

Which will open a page in our app, where you'll be able to edit the method, the location and the date and time.

Sandy_Zapiet_2-1634828654387.png

Sandy_Zapiet_3-1634828760350.png

Don't hesitate to reach us at zapiet@support.com, if you have any questions 🙂

Wishing you a lovely day to you both !

billynj
Tourist
5 0 7

The app sounds nice but $360 a year is very overpriced for what we need a local delivery label, for local delivery by hand or customer pickup in store 

dearthdog
Tourist
6 0 4

I have this same issue, has Shopify addressed a work around for changing an edit from local pick up to shipping so shipping label can be printed?

Thank you

wokeface
Visitor
2 0 4

I agree. We frequently have customers that think they want local pickup but then never make the time to come in and ask us to ship it instead. Our workaround that may help you has been editing the order to add the shipping cost and sending the invoice for the balance for them to pay. This at least allows the same order # to be used so you do not have to create a new one.

But it does not help the issue of how the order is actually classified on the Shopify order page and it may complicate how you do the shipping.

We use Shipstation for shipping and the pickup orders come in same as any other in there, so shipping these orders that people change their minds on is not a big deal for us.

But it does make it annoying on the Shopify side because I have to "mark it as picked up" and tell the customer to ignore that notification, just so we can clear it from our system.

Danielaalcerro
Visitor
2 0 4

Having the same issue here! 

oliveandharbor
Tourist
3 0 4

We are having the same issue. Really need a way to manage this as I have no way to print a label for this order and if I take it to USPS I end up spending way more on shipping without the discounted rates through shopify. Please help!

Bill_Dick
16 0 0

Depending on your country this may or may not work, but if you go to PayPal.com/shipnow you can access the PayPal netParcel shipping module and link your Shopify store and import pick-up orders into the orders screen and print labels. I just performed this action for a customer who wanted a pick-up shipped and there was no need to create secondary orders or "dummy" customers. Retained the original order number. You do have to add the shipping address from the Shopify order but that is simply clicking the edit button under the empty shipping address and selecting the users saved address. Hope this helps others.

arthousesf
Visitor
2 0 4

I use an ugly workaround but it works.  I created a "Test User" (with my email), then "Test Product" with unlimited quantity, then "Test Order". I then create a shipping label from it using the customer's real address (and ensure NOT to use customer's real email so that they don't receive an email notification).  Then I delete this "Test Order" as if it didn't exist.  I keep "Test User" and "Test Product" for future use (if I need to estimate the price of shipping w/o actually creating an order)

Not a perfect one, I wish Shopify would address that, but oh well.  It saves me money, and it takes an extra minute or so

oliveandharbor
Tourist
3 0 4
When you say you create a test user, do you mean creating a "customer" that
is not real? How do you create a test order? I am not sure I am familiar
with this but it sounds like a great workout to get the discounted prices.
Thanks for your reply! Would love a little more info. Thanks!
arthousesf
Visitor
2 0 4

Yes, Test Customer.  You go to Shopify Admin, then click on "Customers" and then "Add Customer".  

It's not that much work really.  I just had to do that yesterday, took me 1-3 minutes.  Having a "Test Customer" is useful anyway for all sorts of things

rebelplush
Visitor
1 0 0

It worked. Thank you. I tried it and it worked for me

SheSegWin
Visitor
1 0 0

I've had to do the same thing. Works as needed 🙂

DropsofSparkles
Excursionist
11 0 22

its not letting me add a customer with my email... saying email is already used. ughh

HouseofHaute
Tourist
5 0 2

Still no luck with this from Shopify, years and hundreds of complaints later. So frustrating. The only work around that I've been able to come up with that doesn't totally mess my book keeping bottom line up is to refund the order to a Gift Card. This works best with physical gift cards (although you waste one every time you have to use it for this reason).

Otherwise, for digital gift cards you'll have to write down the entire card number issued right away and process it immediately so that the customer doesn't decide to try and use it once it hits their email ( or change the customers email temporarily to one you control so you can have it emailed to you. Then change it back afterwards). Once the card is activated, recreate the order and use the gift card to pay for it. Any excess charges for shipping can be collected from the customer unless you decide to eat the cost and zero them out. I do not have the basic plan so I know if this is an option for that one. Also, it may be just as easy to allow the customer to use the gift card on the recreated draft order you send them. Either way, it's a work around that leaves less headaches than some of the other solutions. 

Of course, always communicate your plan with the customer letting them know what and how you're going to do it so there's no further confusion. 

DropsofSparkles
Excursionist
11 0 22

WHYYYY is this not a thing yet? Ughhh. 

CDWstore
Visitor
2 0 1

A workflow that I just used this morning that seemed to work relies on having the packing slip free app "Order Printer"  - which we use anyways because it allows more flexibility with css formatting. Not sure if this is a glitch, but after a customer requests to change to delivery I input their shipping address, click on 'More Actions' -> Print with Order Printer. From that screen there's a button where you're able to create a shipping label. 

mchinsky
Tourist
3 0 0

Does the "Order Printer" app let you print a picture of the item on the packing slip the way the standard Packing Slip does?

CDWstore
Visitor
2 0 1

It does. Here's a link to the Shopify documentation where they give a bit more info on how to customize all that: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/order-printer/customizing-order-templates

WalkerWineCo
Visitor
1 0 0

Great solution and work around. Thanks. Shopify needs to create a more elegant solution but this works very well.

gentlemoose
Tourist
12 0 3

They don't actually WANT you to be able to do this. I have logged onto Shopify Chat to talk with them several times about this issue and they STILL have not fixed it. Why?? Because they want their app partners to make money! You can do this easily with an app you pay for but shopify can't fix it for us where there is a button to the right of "Ready For Pick-Up???" that says "Change to Unfulfilled???!  ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? It's a joke. The only way to do it now is to cancel your order and create a new order where you say you've already collected the payment and uncheck the "Send email to customer" so they don't get confused. I just had to do this AGAIN. I'm pretty disgusted with shopify. VERY unprofessional.

bobbyharley
Visitor
3 0 0

I am having to refund shipping cause my customers were suppose to pick up local pick up now I am having to eat the tax cause they don't have a way to do this easier it is crazy that we always have to pay for something to get what should be available already,

idiosyncretic
Visitor
2 1 8

This is an accepted solution.

I figured out how to do this!!

• Go to the order, and you'll notice there's no shipping address
  • Add a shipping address to the customer/order
  • Go back to the Orders page that lists all your orders
  • Check the checkbox next to the order
  • From the pop-up menu select Create Shipping Labels
  • You're good! It'll email the customer a shipping confirmation and mark the order as fulfilled
HouseofHaute
Tourist
5 0 2

Yes, now it is possible. Previously for years, this was actually not an option. It’s great that you posted however, so that others will know how to do so. 👍

ekologicall
Visitor
1 0 0

Thank you SO much! I had the very same issue last month (Oct. 2023) and Shopify Customer Service's solution was to duplicate the order to create the shipping label which messes up the accounting. Again thank you for sharing!!

lazylivin
Tourist
10 0 18

Had anybody tried this all the way to the end. It doesn’t work for me. I get the message that the order is not eligible to create shipping labels. here’s a screenshot of the error.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0946/3238/files/IMG_6937.jpg?v=1701012333 

idiosyncretic
Visitor
2 1 8

I used this method all the way to the end a month ago and it worked. Make sure the shipping address has been added to the customer/order, and then it should be eligible. I did do this on desktop web, I see your screenshot is on the app or on mobile - might be worth trying on a computer just in case that's the issue.

lazylivin
Tourist
10 0 18

thanks I did get it to work. What I found the problem was when adding the address you have to give Shopify a couple of minutes to refresh before it realizes that there’s an address there. if I had the address and then turn right around and try to create the label. It gives me that error. But if I wait a couple of minutes, then it works

spelklieder
5 0 0

Thank you! How do you all charge the customer the shipping costs when moving from pickup to shipping? Add a custom product named Shipping costs?

PCBros
Excursionist
14 0 3

I'd imagine at that point you'd have to either edit the order and add shipping costs, which makes the customer "check out" again, or you could generate a secondary order for the shipping costs, but has the same drawback.

Ultimately, I think if you're going to charge them for shipping, you may as well cancel and tell them to re-place the order and choose shipping as they should have from the start xD

PCBros
Excursionist
14 0 3

You saved my life!