Solved

Why is changing my EIN on Shopify Payments taking so long?

snout117
Tourist
10 0 3

I reached out over a month ago to change my EIN and associated info for Shopify Payments. I have yet to hear back. I've contacted support to check the status and they tell me they'll escalate my request, etc. but I still haven't heard anything back. What is taking so long to get this done?

Accepted Solution (1)
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

@Ngo12 

Your SSN will always remain on the account, even if you have an EIN for your business. You can add your EIN by contacting our support. 

While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 32 (32)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@snout117 

I'm sorry to hear that there has been a delay in getting your EIN updated. Due to the tax season, there has been an influx of tickets which will cause a delay as our Tax team works to help our merchants with their tax-related questions and requests. If your ticket has been escalated then the best thing to do is wait for the ticket to be reviewed by our Tax team. They work on tickets in chronological order and will update you as soon as they have reviewed your request.  

Ngo12
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi how can I change my SSN to my ein on my account??

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

@Ngo12 

Your SSN will always remain on the account, even if you have an EIN for your business. You can add your EIN by contacting our support. 

While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

PuzzleBox
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi,

I gifted our business to our daughter and are unable to replace her EIN and tax information with mine.  I have contacted the support staff once or twice a week for almost 6 weeks!  The support staff shows there is a ticket and have assured me that our request has been escalated and should hear something soon but with no end date in sight:-(  I am very happy with Shopify, EXCEPT for this.  Now I will be paying taxes on all products sold as the company is still under my tax ID.  I feel bad contacting support and getting angry as I realize it is to their fault specially but this issue is extremely annoying.  I have been given many apologies and such but can someone at Shopify PLEASE send me a link to change over ownership?? HELP!

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@PuzzleBox 

Due to the tax season, our Tax team is handling a large volume of requests which they are working through in chronological order. Due to this, the process can not be expedited. Based on the information you have provided, your ticket has been escalated to the Tax team for further review. Frontline Support Advisors will not have any additional information outside of the ticket has been escalated. We'll need to wait for the Tax team to review your ticket before an update can be provided. 

pdf17
Visitor
2 0 0

I am having the same delay in changing my EIN (it has been a month since my original request). Since then, I have been told that when it is changed, it will backdate for the entire year. I am trying to find out if it can be backdated to the date of my request (I need to file two tax returns under the two different EINs, so changing the entire year is not accurate). This process has been frustrating as Shopify is the last platform to change EINs and I cannot accept any orders/payments until this is completed. 

MrKip
Visitor
1 0 0

@Trevor

can you help me add EIN to store? thanks

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@MrKip 

You will need to contact Support for further assistance with updating your EIN. 

theminimongoose
Tourist
6 0 1

@Trevor How do I contact support? Every link just sends me in a circle back to the help center. Please help, thank you

PuzzleBox
Visitor
3 0 0
You have to go to the live chat. I have been waiting to change the EIN for over 10 months with no end in site. We may have to close our store as they say we are in queue and our ticket has been escalated. Same response since last April 2020.

theminimongoose
Tourist
6 0 1

Sorry to hear that, super frustrating. How do you even get live chat? I can't get that to work either.  Thanks for responding!

Sjm1986
Tourist
6 0 7

Did they ever resolve the issue? If so how long did it take??

I have been waiting 2 months for the change and need to file for two seperate companies/ein numbers...

Super frustrating....

theminimongoose
Tourist
6 0 1

Hey guys - @PuzzleBox - They fixed my issue in literally 24 hours.   I just went to chat and then the tax guys responded right away. I uploaded my W9 and it was fixed within an hour or so. I'm not sure that I did anything different than what you all did.  Only minor difference might be that I mentioned that I wanted to use Shopify Balance (Banking).

PuzzleBox
Visitor
3 0 0
They are working on ours now also:-) I think they only do the change once a year.

MiraVan
6 0 0

did they say they are "working" on it or did they actually tell and give you a timeline when it will be fixed/updated? Cause I am going on 2 months, not sure how someone was able to get it updated in 24 hours!

theminimongoose
Tourist
6 0 1

They said it was officially updated in the system..

MiraVan
6 0 0
And you JUST barely contacted them or you had been waiting a while? Do you
know what "team" (tax, document etc) team you were transfered to?
theminimongoose
Tourist
6 0 1

I just contacted them last night via chat. Yes i was transferred to the tax team

MiraVan
6 0 0
Wow and I JUST spoke to someone on their chat and they said they would get
to me when they could. Do you mind kinda letting me know exactly what you
said so maybe that will prompt them to move quicker. Thank you!

theminimongoose
Tourist
6 0 1

Just sent you my transcript in a private message

MiraVan
6 0 0
Wow thank you so much! Much much appreciated!!!
snout117
Tourist
10 0 3

It's now been two months since I've requested to change my EIN and nobody has bothered to reach out to me. For the amount of money I pay for Shopify it's a very unacceptable timeline for a simple request. How can I get this taken care of?

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@snout117 

Our Tax team is working hard to review and action every ticket that is escalated to them; however, due to the tax season, there is a large number of tickets for our team to work through. With that, there will be delays in hearing back as they work through tickets in chronological order. As soon an update is available you will be the first to know. 

Thank you for your patience. 

snout117
Tourist
10 0 3

I appreciate your response. How can I at least verify that my ticket is still in the queue being worked on?

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@snout117 

I can confirm it is in the right queue, but can not action the ticket, or provide details on the ticket as it will be considered unauthenticated. What is your ticket number?

snout117
Tourist
10 0 3

edited

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@snout117 

Great, thanks. Looking up your ticket, I can confirm it is with our Tax team awaiting review. As soon as they have reviewed your ticket they will follow up with you via email. 

For security reasons, I have edited the ticket number from your previous reply. 

mariahcortez
Tourist
3 0 1

I have also been awaiting response from Shopify regarding my EIN being changed. Our company absolutely needs this changed for tax reasons and Shopify never responds. I have done the chat twice and was assured the Tax Team will respond and they don't. My accountant is breathing down my neck to get this changed and crickets from shopify???

MiraVan
6 0 0

Did you ever hear back from shopify? I'm on a month now awaiting 

pdf17
Visitor
2 0 0
I did! It took 4-5 months though.
MiraVan
6 0 0

Did you not accept payments until it was cleared @pdf17 ? I'm trying to figure out whether to just open a new shopify since they take soo long, but then I'll loose so much info and have to change my domain etc. 

snout117
Tourist
10 0 3
Yes - took almost 2-3 months to hear back