How can I change my store currency from GBP to USD?

KenlaGoods
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello, I have currently launched my store which is US based and set the currency to GBP and didn't notice.  My friend made a purchase from the shop so I cannot not change the store currency to USD.  Can someone help me with this problem?

Thanks

Luke 

KenlaGoods

Reply 1 (1)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hello, @KenlaGoods.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

Our Support team can absolutely help with changing the currency for your store and this will only take a few minutes. However, as we're unable to provide account-specific support via Community Forums, we'd be happy to assist you with changing your store currency through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit Shopify Help Center and log into your account to create a support request. Once you've logged into your account, simply complete a search (eg. Change currency) and select Contact Support at the bottom of the search results. 

As you've already made your first sale, please be aware that changing the currency affects the following aspects in your store:

• Reporting: With changing between currencies, our reporting doesn’t factor in the difference between currencies. So if a merchant had $500 USD processed, that would show as $500 in reports. Say next day they switch to CAD, the report would still read as $500 for previous processing. Since $1 CAD is not equal to $1 USD, the reports in theory will be wrong going forward.
  • Product Pricing: Since the dollar amount between currencies is not the same, a product price’s value, could mean something different if currency is adjusted and impact their margins.
    Ex - $20 CAD, is not equal to $20 USD. So you may want to adjust your product prices after switching the stores default currency.
  • Shipping: Same goes for shipping rates! You will need to change the value to match the new currency as well. 
  • Apps: Some apps may have limitations when it comes to changing the selling currency. If you would like to know how changing the selling currency will affect your apps, you will need to reach out to the App partner to clarify before changing their selling currency.

With Shopify actively encouraging merchants in some instances to adjust currency for new features, we want to make sure merchants are properly aware of any potential areas they need to be aware of for their account. That being said, there are also some possible workarounds!

• Reporting: You can set a “date range” for the data you are reviewing, to exclude any transactions that might have been processed in a different currency before the specific date of the currency switch. 
  • Other: Making any adjustments to their product pricing if needed to factor in the currency difference. You’ll also want to review any of your product pages, themes, etc for currency information, that might need to be adjusted. Note that refunds will be processed in the new currency.

I hope this points you in the right direction! If you have any other questions on this topic, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog