Changing to a different currency at checkout

ihabz
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi,

We are working on offering subscription option to our clients. The only payment option supported for recurring payments in the country we operate in is Paypal Express. The only currency it supports is USD. The currency of the website is the local currency (not USD). Currently Paypal Express produces an error message when selected for checkout due to this currency mismatch. Is there a way to change the currency to USD at checkout when the Paypal Express option is used?

Replies 5 (5)

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @ihabz

Thanks for all of these details. This is helpful. 

I see that you want to offer a subscription to your clients and can only accept payments via PayPal Express Checkout for recurring payments, and that PayPal Express Checkout can only accept USD payments, but your store currency is not in USD. Is that right? 

If it is, can you please confirm what your current currency is and where you are located? How are you setting up recurring payments through your store? Do you use an app?

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

ihabz
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Tira,

Thanks for the swift reply. Yes, your understanding of the case is quite correct.

Currency: AED

App: Seal Subscriptions

ihabz
Tourist
6 0 1

Any ideas/update on this?

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Thanks for these details, @ihabz. This is helpful. 

I took a look at the Seal Subscriptions app you mentioned and can see that there is a multi-currency option available with PayPal Express Checkout where you can accept multi-currency payments from customers using PayPal Express Checkout. This option allows customers to payout in their location’s currency at checkout. This is available to stores that are eligible to use Shopify Payments. Here is our help doc with the requirements to use Shopify Payments.

This feature would not be available in your location in the UAE, however I understand the impact this has on your business and can submit this as a suggestion to our developers team to implement USD for PayPal Express Checkout for stores that need it.

Before I pass this along, do you have a screenshot of the error message you’re seeing at checkout when a customer tries to make a purchase in USD?

I would love to pass this along and any other details to our developers. 

Chat soon,

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

ihabz
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Tira,

Sorry for the late reply. We have been renewing the website, and the new version is launched now. In the meantime, we have managed to setup Paypal express, and now the subscription app automatically goes to payment through Paypal. The only challenge now is that users would receive the error hereunder because the checkout takes place in the local currency (AED), which is not accepted by Paypal. Is there a way to change the value of order from AED to $ at checkout or any other solution you can recommend? Thanks in advance

ihabz_0-1639045604248.png