Can I modify VAT percentage for food products in Shopify?

HUNGR
Visitor
3 0 1

Hi, 

I have a webshop for food products in Belgium. Standart VAT in Belgium is 21% except for food it is 6%.

How can I change the VAT% on my shop? It needs to be 6% on all products.

shop: www.hungr.be

Thanks for your help!

Replies 3 (3)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @HUNGR,

You can apply a different tax rate to your products via a tax override in Settings > Taxes. By placing all of your food products into a collection, you can then set an override for this collection and set the tax rate to be 6%, which will then be charged to customers at checkout. More can be read on setting tax overrides here.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Stashed_food
Visitor
1 0 0

Thank you, this worked.

Follow-up question, can we change the VAT % on orders that already went through (but didn't ship yet)?

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @Stashed_food,

No, this is not possible. The customer has already paid a set amount and this cannot be edited retrospectively. If the customer has overpaid, you can refund them the difference between the amount they paid and what they should have paid, and then you could leave an internal note on the order documenting why you issued this refund for future reference. However, this could result in analytics discrepancies further down the line if you look at tax charges for your store over a certain period.

It is also possible to cancel and refund the entire order and invoice the customer again via a draft order, in order to collect the right amount. If you do decide to do this I'd recommend reaching out to the customer beforehand and informing them of why this is required. 

I hope this helps but please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog