Confused by Draft Invoice

Xeata_James
Shopify Partner
4 0 5

Sorry, I haven't found a good description of draft invoices so I have to open a topic:

I created a draft invoice for a client and emailed him the notice.  How do I now promote this from "Draft" to "Invoice"?

Isn't a draft simply an invoice you haven't yet committed to?

If it is ONLY meant to be a draft UNTIL you make a sale - then why is there a button to send the invoice to the client?

How does this all work exactly?  (I am so confused right now...)

Replies 8 (8)
Cynthia_D_
Shopify Staff
96 0 16

Hello there!

The way the draft orders work is that you build/create the order - add the products, shipping, customer info, etc. - and get it ready to send to the customer.

After that, when you click 'Email Invoice', a link is sent to the customer with an order summary, and an option to complete their purchase & checkout with their payment information.

(You don't need to send the invoice to the customer right away - you can let it stay as a Draft until you are ready to send that email.)

If the customer is not going to be paying via this checkout link, for whatever reason (such as only needing a copy of the order summary), then you also have the ability to 'Mark as Paid', 'Mark as Pending, or 'Pay with credit card' and enter in the payment details yourself. 

Otherwise, as soon as the customer opens that invoice and completes their purchase, the order will move from your Drafts into your current Orders tab, where you can process the fulfillment from there. 

I hoped this has helped clarify things for you :) If you need anything else, give us a shout!

Cynn

Cynthia | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Xeata_James
Shopify Partner
4 0 5

Thanks Cynthia!

OK, I've done all of that.  So once the client pays - is the draft then converted into an Invoice with a proper invoice number (not "D3")?

Cynthia_D_
Shopify Staff
96 0 16

Good day :) 

So sorry I didn't spot your reply sooner!

The answer to your question is yes - it would then be processed and come through in your normal Orders tab with it's own proper order number, and not the D3-type format for the order number.

Cynn

Cynthia | Shopify 

Xeata_James
Shopify Partner
4 0 5

Thanks Cynthia,

As you say, once the client made the payment it created a new invoice.

So other than a bit of hand-wringing and fretting, it all worked out well.  This might be something worth mentioning on the Drafts page however - just so other's don't have the same distress when sending to their first client.

Cynthia_D_
Shopify Staff
96 0 16

totally understand where you are coming from - the more clarification, the better!

We always like to try and keep things as clear and simple as possible, so I can definitely mention the wording in our document to someone to take a look at :). 

Thanks!

Cynthia | Shopify 

John_Miller2
Tourist
30 0 2

I'm a drop shipper. The draft invoice uses my address to show taxes on the draft. Even though once the customer puts his address in the ship to address, taxes then show their location. 

How do I get the draft invoice not to show the default address?

Sheff_Tech
1 0 0

I have just been on Live Chat support to them about this as I too need to be able to print draft orders when I book a persons device into my physical shop for repair and then add products (repair items) to the order and finally complete the order when they come to collect and pay.

It is a very very simple feature and it may stop me from signing up after my free trial.

The live chat recommend a couple of Apps that didn't have the feature and one that wanted $25+ per month just to be able to print a draft order.

Sort it out Shopify as I am sure you will and already have lost customers for this very small and simple feature. 

I JUST HAD A BRAIN WAVE
What about a screenshot? open the draft order and screenshot it, open paint and press ctrl+V, quickly crop and then print/email to client. Its a faff but it could work **temporarily**?

If you use mobile or tablet it would be even easier! 

AP12
1 0 0

How do I get an actual invoice number BEFORE the customer pays??

I have schools that need non-Draft invoices with an actual invoice number to submit to their buyers. How do I reserve a real invoice number for their order?

Thanks